Scuba Pro Octopus Free Flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clownfishx2

Reaction score
I recently purchased a SP MK250/S600 with a corresponding R190 Octopus. The LDS let me test it out in the pool and here's what I noticed. The MK250/S600 was fine... no matter which diving position I was in, it breathed dry! However, the R190 Octopus experienced free flow when I switched the venturi switch from Pre-Dive to Dive while at the bottom of the pool (c. 12 feet deep). I switched it back to pre-dive and it stopped. Due to the efficiency of the MK250 1st stage, I lost air from my tank very quickly (almost 200 psi's!) Should I be concerned before I take this set down to a real dive trip? Does the R190 Octopus need to be adjusted in anyway, or at the extreme, need to be returned?

clownfishx2 once bubbled...
I recently purchased a SP MK250/S600 with a corresponding R190 Octopus. The LDS let me test it out in the pool and here's what I noticed. The MK250/S600 was fine... no matter which diving position I was in, it breathed dry! However, the R190 Octopus experienced free flow when I switched the venturi switch from Pre-Dive to Dive while at the bottom of the pool (c. 12 feet deep). I switched it back to pre-dive and it stopped. Due to the efficiency of the MK250 1st stage, I lost air from my tank very quickly (almost 200 psi's!) Should I be concerned before I take this set down to a real dive trip? Does the R190 Octopus need to be adjusted in anyway, or at the extreme, need to be returned?

Don't switch it to Dive til it's in your mouth. My Apeks freeflows sometimes if I switch it to Dive (+) while it's out of my mouth, but when it's on + in my mouth it breathes hella nice :)

(I didn't know the R190 had a venturi switch)

clownfishx2 once bubbled...

Congratulations. You've tested your R-190 and it works exactly as it's supposed to. What you're calling a "dive/pre-dive switch" is properly known as VIVA, and is a venturi assist. In the "max" position, the reg should free flow if purge it, in the "min" position, it should not. When being used as a backup reg, you would always keep the VIVA knob in the "min" position. All of this is in the owners manual, which you should probably take the time to read.

BTW - a Mk2 would have drained your tank just as fast in a pool.

If you were using that R190 as a primary, it would be just right. However, using it as an octo, you may want to have the shop detune it slightly to reduce the freeflow problem. As an octo, it probably should not be that touchy. At least you had a good demonstration of the performance benefit of the VIVA.

With the viva vane in the minimum position you should be able to depress the purge and it should stop free flowing when you release it. The "closed" vane creates positive pressure in the reg that will press outward on the diaphragm and close the demand lever. Leave it in the minimum position and you won't have to worry about unintentional freeflows.

Back
Top Bottom