"Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Campana

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
by Vance Harlow, is a good book if you want to understand how your regulators work, the differences between different types and brands of regs, and even if you want to work on your own regs. It has diagrams and exploded views of a lot of regs, though it sometimes relies on generic pictures instead of having pictures of every single reg made. I used the generic picture of a balanced piston first stage to reassemble my Scubapro Mk 20 after O2 cleaning, only to discover that the exact picture was in the book later on. I was able to rebuild the reg, however, without any errors. There were no pictures, however, of my G500's or R380's.

Harlow is also the author of "The Oxygen Hacker's companion", a must have book that takes the mystery out of O2 cleaning, tank inspection and cleaning, and other topics having to do with breathing air and nitrox. He has also written one or two other books that I haven't read.

Harlow is knowledgable, if sometimes opinionated. He slams certain regs as hard to work on and finicky, and praises others for their simplicity and reliability.

Of course, if you are able to take a tech course to learn how to rebuild your brand of regulators, you probably should. This book, however, answered a lot of my questions and gave me a lot of "Ah-Hah, so that's how that works!" moments.

One of the coolest tests in the book is a simple test called "The water test". If you want to test the cracking pressure of your reg, and don't have the necessary guage, you can hook the reg to a tank, and lower it into a container of water, with the diaphram down and the reg level. A very sensitive reg will start to flow with only 1/2" or so of water over the diaphragm, while a less sensitive or maladjusted reg may take 2". Maybe this is a well known trick, but is wasn't to me. I went out and tested several second stages, to see if my subjective judgments about how easily they cracked were correct. Turns out they were. There are a lot of other neat facts and techniks in the book. Give it a try, if you want to.

You can order these books from Airspeed Press.

I really found it a fast and illuminating read... BOTH of the books. It takes a lot of the "voodoo" out of regs and gases. Two thumbs way up!

I also give "Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair" a hearty endorsement.

As Campana says:
Of course, if you are able to take a tech course to learn how to rebuild your brand of regulators, you probably should.

If you plan to take a tech class, reading this book first will really help you prepare. Without a tech course (or manual), chances are "SRM&R" will let you tear a reg apart and put it back together, but getting it properly tuned can ruin your day (especially balanced, 2 adjustment 2nds). There are special tools and techniques that let you tune a regulator in a couple of minutes. Harlow can't cover all the variations.

Under this same topic, the latest issue of Dive Training Magazine has a good article with an overview of how regulator maintenance happens.

Also for those interested, Scuba Diving International (SDI) offers an Equipment Specialty that, while it doesn't qualify you to repair/overhaul your regs, it will give you a greater appreciation into what is inside that little cylinder and why its important and how/why it works.

I tried buying this from Amazon - they have it listed on their site, but I got an email back today saying they were unable to obtain it. So I've ordered direct from airspeed press.

I have asked vance many questions on here and through PMs as he as pointed out and was actually thinking about purchasing his reg book today just to see what all he has to say. I have a 3" binder full of actual manufacturers manuals, bulletins, etc. that cover every aspect of servicing,testing, and setting up the main brand of regs I use as well as for my us divers backup reg. I had a few questions as to the legality of the info he uses in his book such as the schematics and diagrams. Are they actually from the manufacturer's material or did he generate them himself? I don't see how he could use scubapro's material for instance in his book because I'm sure they wouldn't approve of it and most if not all their material is copyrighted. Anyway, I'll probably buy his book to pay him back for all the good information he has provided me. Oh yeah Vance, if you read this, I already use the rubber strap for the SP hoses (rubber bungie) and adjustable pliers but I do plan on paying the $30 for the universal tool since it seems much simpler to just use it.
Stone, in your opinion, if someone such as myself had the manufacturers tech material (service manual/workbooks), does Vance's reg book really add anything more than what you would get out of this material? I've got more pages of info just on my regs than there is in the book, so I'm wondering if it will be a wise investment or just redundant. Don't anyone get me wrong, for most people that aren't lucky enough to have access to certain info, his book is wonderful.

jamiei once bubbled...
...legality of the info he uses in his book such as the schematics and diagrams. Are they actually from the manufacturer's material or did he generate them himself?

Unless the dozen-odd manufacturers covered in the book all used the same software to create their diagrams, used the same shading, line weights, etc. I think it's safe to say that this is not an issue.

It's a great book for all divers, even if you're not interested in servicing your own regs. I'm reading the book for the second time now, and I understand a lot more this time through.

Jamiei,

I don't know how much general knowledge you have about regs, but I recommend Vance's book for its common sense approach and wealth of information above and beyond what I have seen in service manuals. The book contains info on tanks, tank valves, do-it-yourself tools, techniques, work-arounds, testing, cleaning, and more.

P.S. I'm no expert . . . I just like working on my own regs.

P.P.S I don't how easy it is to adjust your regs, but I would hate to adjust mine without my "store-bought" pre-adjustment tools and in-line adjustment tool. That's probably one difference between me and an expert.

Back
Top Bottom