Scuba risk factors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been at risk of dying since the day I was born. I've managed to avoid it until now, so I'm not going to worry about it. I plan to dive a lot longer than Cousteau did.

1. older than 45 yo √
2. smoker X
3. overweight X
4. regularly using medications X
5. high cholesterol X
6. illness or recent surgical intervention X
7. asthma, epilepsy, or lung/respiratory problems X
I take risk-factor #1 pretty seriously. All I have to do is step on to a basketball court for a rude reminder of the ravages of age. I stay well inside the NDLs, I watch for fatigue after dives that might be signs of sub-clinical DCS, and more often than not I opt to skip that 4th dive of the day. I just got an "executive physical" in June. I passed with flying colors, including the stress EKG.

I was diving with Fred and Bill. I had finished my dive before Fred and Bill and was on the boat relaxing when Bill came up hauling a nice bag of lobsters. I asked where was Fred, he said Fred had a heart attack. I said "you left Fred in the water and hauled the lobsters back." Bill said, yea, I figured no one would steal Fred.
So if your dive buddy has a heart attack, bring the lobsters back, no one will steal your buddy.

I am 29 so I guess there will be plenty of diving as you say that it its not that risky..

I am 29 so I guess there will be plenty of diving as you say that it its not that risky..

Depends on how you dive.

Bob
-----------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Diving according to the rules of my ow course, not doing anything stupid, I have read a lot on this forum to avoid some mistakes of the diving incidents and as dan says many problems are because we don't follow the rules....

I've been at risk of dying since the day I was born. I've managed to avoid it until now, so I'm not going to worry about it. I plan to dive a lot longer than Cousteau did.

I suspect you and Merry will, especially since you dive almost exclusively in cold water and refrigeration is a form of preservation.:rofl3:

Well, let's see. I'm 63, smoked from 9-39, am heavy for my height according to the "standards" (but still a sinker), have high cholesterol and about four feet of scars both surgical and injury-related.
I like to get deep enough for the nitrogen to relieve the arthritis pain in my joints.
Often.
:)
E
I've just finished my Stress&Rescue diver course classroom and pool sessions under SSI.
In the text book, some scuba risk factors related to the diver are :
1. older than 45 yo
2. smoker
3. over weighed
4. regularly using medications
5. high cholesterol
6. illness or recent surgical intervention
7. asthma, epilepsy, or lung/respiratory problems

Though it's pretty clear points 2 to 7, I'm concerned with point Nro 1.
As per this poll : http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/381337-average-age-divers-today.html
the greatest percentage of divers (27.1 %) is in the range of 50 to 59 years old, I'm in this range, followed by (25.1 %) 40 to 49 yo, so, most of us are under risk.
This statement seems to me a little old fashioned, and depends of each one's physical condition.

You can bet that I won't be napping on my couch anymore! Thanks for the heads up! :D
Yeah, you should always nap on the floor or in your bed. The couch is never a safe place to spend a lot of time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom