Scuba Schools of America/Rusty Berry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw this thread and had to chime in. Here is the gist of my experience with Rusty and his shop:

Went to the school back in November; I was not impressed!!! Rusty is very pushy and mouthy. Acts like a "know it all", which I don't personally respond to very well. If you ask him "What time is it?", Rusty will refuse to give you the time and insist that you listen to his lecture about how to build a clock!

SSI is a very anti PADI environment; no PADI prodcuts at all in the entire shop and it seemed as if they have contempt for PADI, in general. I know they are an SSI school, but don't sell me dive tables I can't use when you know I'm taking the PADI course. I'm basically a recreational diver with an advanced open water cert. and I could care less about who is better between PADI, SSI and NAUI; I REALLY DON'T CARE. Some people get into that "my cert is better than your cert" game but I don't. I don't have time for it...

Rusty's brother (forgot his name) was also at the school when I was there with my wife and I personally witnessed him making derogatory remarks to female students. If you go to Yelp, there is a similar complaint by a member named Lara H. So, I think it's safe to say that women should really consider another school. The men's bathroom was disgusting; looked like it hadn't been cleaned since the 1980s. At one point, a piece of gear that had been left behind by a student was discovered. Another gentleman brought it to Rusty's attention. Rusty responded by saying "That guy was a knucklehead. Go ahead and keep it." I shook my head in disbelief; if I left some gear behind, I would hope that a Dive School would have the integrity to return it. Of all the things I noticed, that exchange was the most disturbing.

For your own sake, I suggest you take your business elsewhere.

Currently I am dealing with Rusty and SSA. I have spoken to a couple others in our course and ALL are feeling manipulated and taken advantage of. This establishment has truly left a bad taste in my mouth. As so many others have experienced he is very vague and when you ask questions he somehow uses circular reasoning to confuse you as the trusting customer that wants to become certified with the "best equipment" to have a 'better dive." I have yet to be out of the pool , with a certification, and we've spent over $2,000 already!!!

I attempted to cancel my drysuit order after realizing this was a scam to benefit his pocket and he stated he tried cancelling it but couldn't. I had a gut feeling he didn't try and requested the companies number. After 2 days I finally got it. The company stated he never contacted them, and when I called it was already too late, they had cut the suits already and someone would be responsible. I'm currently thinking about my next move.

and it goes on....I love this thread!

I feal really bad for everyone that has had such dealings with with this person and his business that seems to be doing everything wrong

SAD....this person and shop gives SCUBA such a bad name....not all Instructors....shops, or certifing agencies are like this guy. How/when did you find out about the site/thread....cause if you read this before signing uo....why did you sign-up there.

Sounds like you need to find an attorney (and anyone that knows me....knows I never suggest that////but with this guy that may be your only recourse).

Good luck, get out and run to another shop.

The scams with this guy never seize to end. The best way to get back at him is to hurt him where it hurts, his band account. Keep detailed records of everything and pursue a complaint with the CC company and small claims court if you have to. I've had more than enough of a bad experience with this A-hole that I'll help anyone that needs help screwing him over.

Reactions: D_B
Try the Attorney General's office...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom