scuba sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubakat

Reaction score
So I started shopping for a new drysuit this week and I really am disgusted with the manufacturers' ideas of sizing. Have they actually measured real women? I think that I am an average sized woman, but to get a stock suit that fits me around, I would have to be almost 6' tall and have size 10 feet! I don't want to spend big bucks on a custom suit because I am dropping 1-2 sizes every 3 months, but I want to dive dry, and warm, and have a suit that fits. I think that DUI is about the closest to realistic sizing that I've seen so far. And when they say "chest" do they mean "bust"?

grrr...

-kate

Kate, I know what you mean!

Unfortunately, even in this enlightened age, it's still a fact that most scuba equipment is sized for men.

The alternative to a totally custom suit is to get one that fits you relatively well in the body, and have the feet customized.

Example: my first suit was a 1/4" neoprene Wardell. Supposedly, someone had ordered it "custom" and walked away from their deposit. The shop offered it to me for $600 (Cdn). This INCLUDED alterations, which entailed:

-shortening the legs.
-smaller boots (I wear a size 7 1/2)

The rest fit pretty decently. At the time I was about 120lbs. (I'm about 5'4")

However, as well all know, suits shrink. (Ok, ok... they DON'T but that's MY story and I'm sticking to it! :p ) I have since retired it in favour of a DUI 350 TLS custom trilam.

But I still have the Wardell in storage if you're interested.... :wink:

~SubMariner~

My problem is that my equipment is getting too big! I don't hold out hope for making it into your old suit though :). I have to be somewhat realistic! Is the TLS350 the one with the diagonal front zipper? I dove one of those as a rental this weekend and I liked it that I was dry, but I think that "self-donning" is a myth. I could self-don it, but not self-doff it :) Why did you choose that particular suit?

-kate

Yes, the DUI 350TL/TLS is the one with the big diagonal zipper. They're not the only "self donning" suit around, but they had so many good options and a stellar reputation, so I went with them. (Plus the fact that Pearce has a DUI CF200 that is about 10 years old and could still be used if it hadn't "shrunk" :wink: )

The Wardell was back-zipped, so even though I could get myself out of the neck & wrist seals, someone still had to "unzip" me first. With the DUI I can get into it all by myself, but getting out my (long?) nose seems to get caught on the way out of the neck seal. Too weird. Maybe I need more dives on it (only 2.5 seasons on it thus far) Or a shorter nose??? <g>

Anyways, besides the self-donning aspect, some other reasons I chose the DUI:

- wide range of customization. I wanted stuff like Kevlar knee pads, and a big pocket for Instructor slates.
- Rock Boots (the greatist thing since sliced bread IMHO). Not only have I found that I don't get floaty feet or need ankle wts with them (they sort of act like gators) but they make ANY exit/entry so much easier!
- wide range of adjustibility on the exhaust... with a slight twist you can set it to vent with a simple raising of your upper arm. The inflator also pivots to receive the LP hose on in any direction (360 degrees).
-good quality trilam. I enjoy the flexibility that trilam gives me over neoprene; the latter was like being The Mummy!

Now don't get me wrong... there ARE other "self donners" out there. For example, a former student who is now an Instructor himself swears by his Abyss. I just always wanted a DUI and felt that their reputation was well deserved.

Does this help at all?

~SubMariner~

I have a Ursuit (Finnish) drysuit. This is also with a front zippeer. And yes I can put it on - and off - without help. It is also a trilaminate and here (in Denmark) about half the price of the DUI. However, if I bought it today I would have the boots exchanged for a smaller size.

DSAO

Thanks for your feedback SM & DD! Especially since I am on a budget & I have already made one bad decision about a drysuit. :)

-kate

Kat, believe it or not mfgs like DUI sometimes have specials on their websites for custom suits that people sent in for repair, had the repairs done, and left there.

The alternative is to check some dive shops in your area for used suits. You know how we divers like to "trade up"! :wink:

Bon chance,

~SubMariner~

Back
Top Bottom