SCUBA--sport or hobby

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hobby, obsession, addictive :) Not quite a sport in the traditional sense of the word...I'd lean towards hobby.

Who really cares? sport or hobby? Why not just say you SCUBA DIVE?

Avalanche:
I don't see how diving can make one fit. I'm leaning towards hobby. Although, I play golf too, and thats considered a sport.....i'm confoosed.

Golf is considered a sport because it can be played competitively.

Sport!

You can competitively dive - ever hear the joke about how to fail your OW checkout dives? Come up to your instructor with "Race you to the surface" written on a slate :D

My definition is "if it can't kill you...it's not a sport". Diving can kill you...therefore it's a sport.

Golf however...:D

Golf is carried on the Sports Channel, but it'ws a hobby.

You can die in Scuba - it's a real Sport, if not an extremem sport.

For me, it's also an Obsession! :crafty:

Sport or Hobby....................

.............Na! Its a way of life :eyebrow:

The answer is neither. There is nothing to "win" when you scuba dive, so it is not a sport. It is a hobby for those people that spend all their free time doing scuba stuff even if they are not diving but that is not everybody. I think the most accurate label is that scuba diving is an "Activity" (i.e. something you do that requires action!)

As far as scuba being good excercise, definately not. I'd be worried if my buddy was getting a work out just kicking themselves around underwater. How are they supposed to resuce me if somebody drops a weight belt on my head from the surface? I'll admit that surface swims and moving gear around can be strenuous but that is secondary to floating around underwater.

I think SCUBA diving can help promote healthy and good fitness activities,,,,,, like cardio exerc.//good diet//outdoors...... I think most divers are folks that don't smoke or drink alot (well maybe the drinkingat least during dive activities--right?). I would like to think most divers whom do it ( dive that is) on a regular bases stay in good shape,,,and of course read and visit on ScubaBoard!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom