Scuba stuff in thrift stores.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoomi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I like thrift stores, because you never know just what you might find in them. We've gotten some really great deals prowling such establishments over the years, and even made a few bucks snagging things and reselling them on eBay.

We were browsing one here in Tucson today, and saw two Nitrox pony bottles for sale. The one that was obviously pony size was $50, and the second one, which was kind of between the pony size and a standard tank, was $75.

If I was a nitrox user, or planned on becoming one anytime soon, I'd have been tempted to grab one or both.

Anyone else spot some interesting scuba stuff in secondhand shops?

You do not have to use nitrox to buy a nitrox pony. Just fill it with air. What sizes were they and were they in hydro? If so those prices are pretty good. I've never found any scuba stuff in the second hand shops around here. Or the pawn shops even and all of them have my card if they do get something in.

I bought a pair of black Voit full foot fins with a raised graphic of a diver and Skin Diver typed below for a price that made me gasp when I saw them at Value Village a few years ago.

Recently, I saw another pair of multicolour Voit fins at the Goodwill in Seattle but passed when I saw they were made in Malaysia. I'm guessing since mine were made in the US, they're older and more special? :wink:

I've got an old pair of full foot freediving fins I found at a St. Vincent de Paul for $2. They're in great shape and they work great. Just a little bit narrow for me, but since it's too cold here for full foot fins, they only end up getting used a few times a year when I go snorkeling, so I can live with them being a little tight.

I used to have some jets that I got at the same place for the same price, but they were just plain too small, so they got given away.

I've also got an old LP72, (it's stamped something like 1963), and an old Sherwood regulator from back in the days of chrome, that I do occasionally use. A buddy of mine found them for $10 at a garage sale and passed them on to me.

I forgot to mention the size small SP jets my mother found, (I think she was given them for free). With boots on, they fit my 8 year old daughter.

Both bottles were marked "Nitrox Only," so I'm not sure about what kind of issues I might run into trying to get them filled with normal air. They looked fairly new, and had their first stages still.

If someone is interested in them, I can head back over there on Monday and see if they still have them, and look for more particulars. I might also just call my LDS Monday and see what their policy is on filling bottles marked "Nitrox Only."

You really need take a look at how you were trained. There is no such thing as a nitrox tank that you cannot use air in. Air is nitrox. 21% nitrox. All that sticker means is that if you put air in it and it is not nitrox compatible air you would have to get it O2 cleaned IF you planned on using nitrox in it again and it was from partial pressure blending. Ie put O2 in first then top off with air. This is basic OW stuff we are talking about. Those bands are a just another way for some places to make money. All you need is a vis sticker and current O2 clean sticker for enriched air. Any shop that tells you different is just trying to rip you off.

Thought I'd make some money? Can't bring myself to sell. With all the other stuff could start a school. Ridiculous. Cardinal Sin No 1. Passing up dive stuff in junk shops. Jets XL 2bucks. Wooden guns 10bucks. Pneumatic guns 20bucks. Regs this week 10bucks. Books. BCs. Tanks..... Gallon ArmorAll 50bucks. Aaaaaarrrrrggghhhhh. Priceless. Passing up nitrox tanks with firsts. Even more Priceless.

Came across one the old double hose regulators about 10 years and we had just moved. Didnt want to spend the money as it was tight. Kicking myself now for not getting it!

Where's the shop? I'm interested! :popcorn: And is it open on Sunday?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom