Scuba stuff in thrift stores.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The "Nitrox" band means that at some point, the tank might have contained something other than plain air. Or Not. It's pretty much meaningless, except as a signal to non-nitrox certified divers that they're probably grabbing the wrong tank.

However, since the tank will need to be emptied and inspected and probably cleaned, and may need a hydro test before use, it really doesn't matter if it says "Nitrox", "This End Up" or has smiley faces on it, since the stickers will all be removed anyway.

In any case, taking a poke at the OP's training for not knowing about the various stickers is completely inappropriate. According to his profile, the OP is AOW certified, not Nitrox certified and would have no way of knowing about the various sticker meanings, aside from VIP.

Terry

Harsh? All I did was question his training. Do you all mean to say that during the equipment portion of the class that the instructor does not cover this? It was in my OW class. And it is one of the things I have carried into my classes. I have a tank with a nitrox band on it because I bought it new and it was on there, And the shop that does my vis's puts a new one on every time. But they don't charge me for it. As a result it is always present in my classroom presentation on gear to demonstrate that there are no real differences. Students may see this at some resorts and on some boats and they have air in them. What are they supposed to do? Look foolish when they say I can't use that tank, it has air in it and it's not supposed to? There are several shops that when their supply of non nitrox 80's will run low, they'll start giving out the ones with nitrox bands on them. Should the uninformed student refuse it? I'm really getting tired of being jumped on for trying to open people's eyes to what is right in front of them.

Harsh? All I did was question his training. Do you all mean to say that during the equipment portion of the class that the instructor does not cover this? It was in my OW class. And it is one of the things I have carried into my classes. I have a tank with a nitrox band on it because I bought it new and it was on there, And the shop that does my vis's puts a new one on every time. But they don't charge me for it. As a result it is always present in my classroom presentation on gear to demonstrate that there are no real differences. Students may see this at some resorts and on some boats and they have air in them. What are they supposed to do? Look foolish when they say I can't use that tank, it has air in it and it's not supposed to? There are several shops that when their supply of non nitrox 80's will run low, they'll start giving out the ones with nitrox bands on them. Should the uninformed student refuse it? I'm really getting tired of being jumped on for trying to open people's eyes to what is right in front of them.

[hijack]Yes, harsh. The fact that you want to ensure that every OW student is properly trained is commendable. But the manner in which your posts often come across when you point it out is not, especially in the New Divers and Basic Scuba areas. So far, 3 people have posted in this thread that the response was harsh.

For all we know he may have been told about Nitrox tanks and stickers in his BOW class and simply forgot. Implying that everyone who asks a somewhat basic question got inadequate training without getting more background or info on them is counter productive. Many of these posters will feel uncomfortable posting or asking questions in the future when they get this type of response to their questions.

My OW class might have covered tanks with nitrox stickers on them but it's been too long ago for me to say for sure. But I am certain that it didn't cover such things like the need to get it O2 cleaned if the air isn't Nitrox compatible or partial pressure blending techniques.

The message is fine. It's the delivery that needs some work when responding in these two subforums.
[/hijack]

:focus:

My wife once bought me a full wetsuit in a Seattle thrift store for $5. When she got home, it didn't fit, so we cut it up to use as a dog bed.

She almost sparked a divorce when she told me she saw a set of doubles in a garage sale going for $50 but didn't buy them.

Jim Lapenta: As long as you have been around here you should have thicker skin than indicated in your last post. You know you will be challenged now and then by those who have a different outlook on various issues. I commend you for going the long route with your students. So far as leaving the Nitrox sticker on a tank and filling it with air only, I can see a problem if the rentor is planning to go below 100 feet and he thinks he is breathing Nitrox from his rented tank. There could be a heavy discussion about this while gearing up on the boat. Keep up the interesting and educational posts as in the past and ignore the challenges.

You do not have to use nitrox to buy a nitrox pony. Just fill it with air.
PLEASE REMOVE ALL O2 CLEAN STICKERS IF YOU FOLLOW THIS ADVICE. You might also want to remove the NitrOx labels to avoid confusion.

Introducing "normal" e grade air into a vessel that has been labeled as Oxygen Clean is dangerous to subsequent users.

FWIW, unless you have taken an extended range NitrOx or Deco course, your pony should probably be filled with air anyway. Bail out bottles are usually intended to be used as an emergency alternate air source and consequently, they should have the max MOD. NitrOx will reduce the MOD of your gas, and you may not be able to utilize it safely at depth. Air is useful for all recreational diving depths and so it's the best choice for emergency bail out bottles.

There are several shops that when their supply of non nitrox 80's will run low, they'll start giving out the ones with nitrox bands on them. Should the uninformed student refuse it?

Actually, yes. Someone presented with a tank that might contain an unknown gas should absolutely not use it until the contents have been verified to be a mix that's safe for the user and the planned dive.

Terry

:) Okay, y'all have convinced me! I'm going to do my civic duty and go up and check them out . . ., and buy them to get these dangerously marked cylinders off the market!

I am going to be SO disappointed if they are a couple of Spare Airs . . . :depressed:

:rofl3:

Actually, yes. Someone presented with a tank that might contain an unknown gas should absolutely not use it until the contents have been verified to be a mix that's safe for the user and the planned dive.
This is a part of Scuba Safety 101 and is included a few times in every one of my OW classes. But then, I include NitrOx with most of my OW classes.

FWIW, I have seen one shop give out %32 NitrOx to students for their OW check out dives without telling them. Granted that the dives in question are limited to 60 fsw, but they are opening themselves up to major liability should something occur. Trust me dives are implicitly dangerous and it's up to us to eradicate them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom