Scuba symbol owned by anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As someone who writes textbooks, I'd be overwhelmed and delighted if such a great lead was first dangled in front of me, then not only dangled, but unearthed and given a name, number and face. Usually I have to dig and chase all by myself.

Thanks for the history lesson, Doc.

Mr Miller, don't miss a chance for further accuracy even if you have a deadline looming.

And thanks, ScubaBoarders, for bringing this story to light.

I read this discussion with mucht interest. But then suddenly it stopped. I'm very curios how it ends. Can anyone tell me?

(sorry to bring up old discussions)

I made my first dive in the late summer of 1956, my Dad had a dive flag back then ... I remember it clearly. How could that be if Ted Nixon did not introduce it until a year later? I don't know what the reality of it all is, I was way to young, but that is my memory.

Like Thal, I dont believe Sam. I saw an article in Doc's dive shop on how and why he come up with the flag we know. It even had Ted Nixon talking about promoting it. I dont want to take anything away from Sam's contributions to the diving world but I think some facts are missing and hos story is wrong. I doubt any more facts ever come out on this.

I'm not disagreeing or contradicting Sam, just adding what I remember for consideration, the truth is always hard to get at.

Except that link yields a cut and paste from the unknown, one that lists the wetsuit as being invented in 1956 and I know for a fact that Hugh Bradner, a University of California, Berkeley physicist invented the modern wetsuit in 1951. I'm not taking sides, but those are not authoritative sources.

Except that link yields a cut and paste from the unknown, one that lists the wetsuit as being invented in 1956 and I know for a fact that Hugh Bradner, a University of California, Berkeley physicist invented the modern wetsuit in 1951. I'm not taking sides, but those are not authoritative sources.

Were you there as a student then? :D

No, way before my time, but I did meet Hugh Bradner several times when I was down at Scripps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom