"SCUBA" Travel Bags: Really a theft problem or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeeWorld

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Friends,
I have read related threads about 'obviously marked scuba gear bags' being a problem while traveling, yet I am not convinced that it is much more of a hazard than a golf bag is for golf clubs.
Rather than inviting a summary of worst-case stories, I would like to know if there are any real statistics about use of 'marked scuba gear bags' for air transport and their chance of theft.
As certain as I am that some unfortunate thefts do occur, my gut (sometimes overly optimstic) tells me that 99.9% of scuba travelers have NOT been robbed in transit as a result of a marked bag.
As I travel with my recently updated gear packed in a new XS SCUBA roller bag (love it), I hope to carry some peace of mind as well.
Drop a hint on best way to insure scuba gear as well.
Cheers :)
Tadas
ps - I am well-travelled on 5 continents with all sorts of technical gear for various interests from birding to photography to scuba. Diving since 1985.

I bet pawnshops don't pay much for scuba gear, so I doubt it is all that attractive to a thief.

OTOH, camera gear is pretty valuable.

So I blame all those underwater photogs for making scuba bags attractive targets. :)

------------------

I use a generic duffle bag because I'm cheap, not because I'm worried about theft.

Your gear may already be covered under your homeowners or renters insurance policies.

I doubt anybody has statistics on what sort of bags go missing.

Charlie

Why advertise. And what is clearly superior about overpriced dive bags anyways?

It's the same as putting the dive flag licence plate cover on the car that screams break into me.

Why bother. What's the benefit besides having, "Hey! I'm a snotty diver with more money than brains! Steal my stuff!", written on your forehead. :D

Don't assume that your household insurance will cover your gear -I have a specific policy for all my gear, fins, mask, reg, BC, computer, laptop, camera gear etc. with my Homeowners Company. If you go that route be sure and get new replacement prices not based on the age replacement.

I have a black armour bag that looks like a gear bag of some kind. I think I have an Aggressor luggage tag on it right now.

Becky

A buddy of mine got himself a new u/w camera rig, complete with shiny new Pelican case w/dive stickers.
He *almost* lost the sucker twice on its first trip, both times going through Miami.
He tackled one of the guys as he was leaving the terminal, the other thief had it stashed under a pile of other bags.
Now he follows recommendations & stuffs it in an old duffel.
Double-check your insurance policy, some of the buggers exclude assorted high ticket items, like cameras, dive computers, etc.

My regs and computer never leave the carry-on. I have a dive bag that is pretty clearly a dive bag if you know what you are looking at but I stopped bringing the camera (best camera is in my head) and figure if they want the BC, fins and mask that bad I can rent for a trip and file a claim with DAN.

I would say that the bag is superior to some luggage (big zippers, wheels, reinforced bottom, etc.) but overall I would be just as happy with a standard issue military duffel.

After coming back from a dive vacation we had to pass through "Miami", where upon an individual proceded to cut the ties on my zippered bag. They reached in and took my wifes and my regulator. The airlines paid the $500. deductible, my homeowners picked up the rest. I had to come up with reciepts which took awhile. There was a change in gear, I got a nicer computer and bought a Seaquest reg. to replace my Posiden, my wife got a nicer reg.
Seaworld, does this mean I'm part of
the .1%? :eek:
I still travel with the dive bag that has the patches on from all over the world, my computers go in my backpack with my camera. I always plan to get to the airport early because they want to see my strobe, it must be a scary looking thing for TSA.:boom:

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

d33ps1x once bubbled...
Why advertise. And what is clearly superior about overpriced dive bags anyways?

It's the same as putting the dive flag licence plate cover on the car that screams break into me.

Why bother. What's the benefit besides having, "Hey! I'm a snotty diver with more money than brains! Steal my stuff!", written on your forehead. :D

Damn, now I'm going to have to wait for that permanent ink to wear off my forehead before I can travel again. :D

Scott

Airline are liable for losses to checked luggage only up to $9.07 per pound!! 50 pounds is $453.50 max. Check fine print...

don

Back
Top Bottom