"SCUBA" Travel Bags: Really a theft problem or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dandydon once bubbled...
Airline are liable for losses to checked luggage only up to $9.07 per pound!! 50 pounds is $453.50 max. Check fine print...

don

The airlines gave me a check for $600.00, please don't tell them they did it wrong:D
My home owners policy covered the rest, and I was happy to get two new regs with octo's, plus one computer, plus one knife. Of course, the checked bag was closer to 70lbs :rolleyes:, now they've switched to 50, I guess I beat the weight limit deal :)
I love my new AI computer, but I miss my Posiden:(

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

caymaniac once bubbled...

The airlines gave me a check for $600.00, please don't tell them they did it wrong:D
My home owners policy covered the rest, and I was happy to get two new regs with octo's, plus one computer, plus one knife. Of course, the checked bag was closer to 70lbs :rolleyes:, now they've switched to 50, I guess I beat the weight limit deal :)
I love my new AI computer, but I miss my Posiden:(

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

Yeah, great news. We all get lucky sometimes. International tickets get a 70 pound limit, but if it was an international ticket, they may have been more generous than required. Here's a quote from one airline's site:

Liability for loss, delay or damage to baggage will be limited unless a higher valuation for checked baggage has been declared and additional charges paid at check-in (see below).

Domestic Liability Limits - $2,500 per ticketed passenger.

International Liability Limits - $9.07 per lb. up to $640 per bag (U.S. Dollars).

We also trust you will understand that luggage is designed to protect its contents. In the course of normal handling your luggage may show evidence of wear and tear.
If you check the fine print on a ticket, the $9.07 per pound is part of a "Warsaw" agreement.

That $640 max is on a bag that weighs $70 pounds or less. Even if you pay extra for an overweight bag, no extra coverage.

So, if you have Homeowners Insurnace with a small deductibe, that'll pick up where they run out. My fathers has $1200 deductible, so he'd have a coverage gap. I don't insure my current home and belongings, so - this is part of the reason I buy Travelers Insurance.

good luck, don

caymaniac once bubbled...
After coming back from a dive vacation we had to pass through "Miami", where upon an individual proceded to cut the ties on my zippered bag. They reached in and took my wifes and my regulator. Caymaniac

Aha . . .there's your problem you flew through Miami!

Tim Ingersoll once bubbled...

Aha . . .there's your problem you flew through Miami!

Yur right there! :thumb: I try my best to avoid Miami International connections, although I will go there to start driving to the Keys.

don :bandito:

dandydon once bubbled...

Yur right there! :thumb: I try my best to avoid Miami International connections, although I will go there to start driving to the Keys.

don :bandito:

Yeah "Miami International" as in welcome to another country you just landed in Miami.

i have one of those big waterproof duffle bags which contains my wife's and mine: bc's, fins, rubber, not rubbers :D , masks, snorkels, booties, and other small tools. which is then packed with towels all around where i can to protect the gear from unnecessary abuse.

i carry my back country backpack on me at all times as a carry on which has our reg setups, and my camera gear. along with all the film and bottled water i always bring with. also keep some other nick nack snacks and what not in there as well.

works out perfectly...no one knows what's in the bags cuz there's absolutely no markings what so ever.

i don't understand either why people have those designer dive bags...to each their own for sure...

Thank you for all the insightful replies. I am fairly new to Scubaboard and look forward to more helpful advice in the years ahead.
Happy Holidays and Safe Diving to Everyone!
Tadas

Back
Top Bottom