SCUBA TV Shows

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lotsofgadgets:
Deep Sea Detectives - History Channel

Hosted by John Chatterton and Richie Kohler. These are the guys that discovered the WWII U-Boat off New Jersey, and are the subject of several books including Shadow Divers and The Last Dive.

Dennis

I read Shadow Divers, great book. Deep Sea Detectives, however, sucks. It's basically the same video footage and story line repeated over and over again. They place commercials in between, in the hope that you've forgotten what it was you've already seen. My thirteen year old son watched it with me once, and pointed out that they could have told the entire story in five minutes without the repetition. I wanted to like the show so badly that I was ignoring the obvious.

The Kraken:
Oooooohhhhh Nooooooooooooooooooo .. . . !!!
It's Dr. Bill, Sluggo and Mr. Hand . . . . !!!

Oooooohhhhh Noooooooo . . . , Dr. Bill !!!!

You are sadly mistaken since you are referring to my less educated relative MR. Bill of SNL fame. And to make matters worse, my dive buddy's name is Andrea Bill (no relation).

Modest, Mrs.Prages...moi? Based on what I've seen of both shows, Deep Sea Detectives is far less interesting as a dive show than mine.

Dr. Bill

I've got to order SCUBA-Vision for my TV. Me thinks that flopping around the room in a mask, BC, and fins would be too much fun. What a TV experience that would be.

Come to think of it, I have more channels on XM than I have on TV. I wonder if XM has a SCUBA channel. They have (nearly) everything else!

Me thinks I need to check it out!

Ciao, Jeff

joecad:
I read Shadow Divers, great book. Deep Sea Detectives, however, sucks. It's basically the same video footage and story line repeated over and over again. They place commercials in between, in the hope that you've forgotten what it was you've already seen. My thirteen year old son watched it with me once, and pointed out that they could have told the entire story in five minutes without the repetition. I wanted to like the show so badly that I was ignoring the obvious.

I don't think it sucks.... but I can see how it's turning into the same script over and over again. Definately got lots of "filler". I wish it was better also.... I just started watching it this year, so it's getting the "same" already. I haven't quit yet, just more selective in which shows I'm watching and doing some fast forwarding through the "filler".

However, after reading "Shadow Divers", I see how/why Chatterton puts in the "filler". He tried to learn about the wreck in Shadow Divers and what the crew did, etc... I guess they are trying to protray that in the show. I think also the producers are doing some of the "filler" though, so I haven't written if off completely.

Overall, it's pretty much about the only scuba show you got on TV, and it's cold out and not much other way to dive now except "armchair diving via remote control" until warmer waters come.

Did you see the thing on Pearl Harbor that Dennis Haskbert (I think that's his name) did? It covered sunken ships in Pearl, Midway, the atol the tested the nuke weapons on ships, etc. It was interesting.

-mike

About once a week I do a search for words in the show descriptions, like scuba, dive, diving, and set my TVO to record those shows. You'd be amazed how many obscure shows will have the occasional focus on diving. About 2 or 3 per week. Frequently it's odd stuff, like the diving Dog on Real TV, or right now, pages of re-runs of Open Water on Pay per View. But sometimes you find good stuff.

dr. bill---That is what is so nice about Public Access television. They let you run anything.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom