scuba wet suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmlewis21

New
Reaction score
I am thinking about purchasing myself my first wet suit. How should should it feel and fit when you have got one on ? and also what is a good suggestion for putting on a wetsuit ?, people tell me that they can be quite difficult to put on.

If you're buying at the local scuba shop, they will be able to help you out with fitting. It should fit snug, and they are usually quite difficult to put on. The tighter it is, the warmer you'll be.... just not so tight that your limbs go numb and your face goes blue :p

Go to your LDS, they should be able to help you find a suit that fits you properly. All suits do not fit the same. It should be snug, not tight. Yep, they can be difficult to put on. I have a .5mm full and put it on first, then put my 3mm full over it. A diveskin will work also. Makes it sooooo muuuuch easier to put on. What manufacturer is the best, pricey does not necessarily mean the best.
If you have time on your hands, try a couple of LDS's, as they probable carry different brands.

cmlewis21:
... and also what is a good suggestion for putting on a wetsuit ?, people tell me that they can be quite difficult to put on.

You want tricks? :peepwalla We got tricks!!
(1) Mix 1 part liquid dishsoap to 9 parts water to get 10% solution in a spray bottle, then spray inside legs and arms before donning; or
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :icon_idea <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
(2) Stick foot or hand into plastic shopping back before donning that limb, but - pull sack out before fully seated.

Make these tricks your own and impress your friends!

don

For my thick gloves, which are typically the last thing I don before the mask, I squirt a little biodegradable liquid soap inside. Works like a charm.

As for the suit, for the 7mm FJ, I found that a thin diveskin makes it MUCH easier, and also adds another layer of thermal protection (if you're going cold).

After a while it will get easier... but thats a neat trick DandyDon... I'll have to try that...

seanrollins:
You can also lather your body with vasoline.

Or have someone else do it for you!

seanrollins:
You can also lather your body with vasoline.

KY Jelly works better -it's water soluble and won't leave a greasy residue or degrade the rubber like a petroleum based product will. You would also soon become a ledgend at the local drug store.

But in all seriousness, you get get these nifty nylon booties at the local dive shop to help your feet slide through the legs of the suit, then just take them off before you put on your wet suit boots.

cmlewis21:
I am thinking about purchasing myself my first wet suit. How should should it feel and fit when you have got one on ? and also what is a good suggestion for putting on a wetsuit ?, people tell me that they can be quite difficult to put on.

You can try all the tips and tricks listed or you can just get a Henderson gold core and just slip that baby right on, no tricks required. YMMV. The nice thing about the Henderson line is that they offer the hyperstretch material so if your prone to.......ehhh a little holiday feast overindulgence (not that I am or anything cause I'm not ;-) ) the suit will accomodate the extra poundage I've been told.

I've heard that the Hendersons will pill on the outside if rubbed against velcro or similar material so be carefull of that. Also there are several other company's offering a similar material to the hyperstretch.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom