Scubaboard copyright violation!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

interesting

Where is the alleged copyright infringement, and where is the copyright of the material that is allegedly copyrighted?

Are you referring to this photo that is on the internet?

temple.jpg

I don't see anywhere on this particular website that is linked to your profile that shows a copyright notice of any kind.

Nor do I see on this particular image any type of notice of ownership or copyright.

Also - I see a resemblance to the image you claim to have ownership of, but I can't tell for sure if the image that you're accusing scubaboard of infringing upon your uncopyrighted material is actually the same image. Perhaps it will take some further investigation, and contacting of the parties involved with making the banner ad that is appearing on this website (scubaboard) but isn't necessarily created by scubaboard, or endorsed by scubaboard.

We'll get right on this though...

In the United States since the 1980s (sorry can't remember the exact year) copyright is immediate and automatic. One doesn't have to give notice that a work is copyright because it is. Unless given permission such works are fully protected.

In the United States since the 1980s (sorry can't remember the exact year) copyright is immediate and automatic. One doesn't have to give notice that a work is copyright because it is. Unless given permission such works are fully protected.

It is 1989 :wink:

But hypothetically speaking, as I'm not actually an agent of the company that owns scubaboard... If this item were in fact copyrighted by the person who is claiming that it is. The item is posted on the internet, and quite frankly, the person who made the banner may have found this image on someone else's website for all we know.

It is 1989.
Thanks. The year is useless trivia so it is hard for me to remember :D

But hypothetically speaking, as I'm not actually an agent of the company that owns scubaboard... If this item were in fact copyrighted by the person who is claiming that it is. The item is posted on the internet, and quite frankly, the person who made the banner may have found this image on someone else's website for all we know.
And really none of that matters. Granted the OP would need to show they are the owner of the work but it really doesn't matter where the person who made the banner got the image. Taking images off the net and using them (without permission) in a commercial work just ain't right.

Really? Why do you care so much. Unless you make a living shooting photographs you should be flattered you picture appears on there site.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I don't think someone should feel flattered that their image was used without their permission and with no attribution. My husband is an avid photographer, and he gives his pictures to anyone who asks for them, with the only request being that the photographs should be identified as being his. If this was simply lifted off the web somewhere, at the very best, it was rude. If the person sells images, it was theft. (Of course, if they sell images, they really ought to watermark them on the internet.)

What sounds like even worse here is that an ad agency used the image without authorization and charged for it. NOT a good thing.

The agency should pay the image owner a proper royalty otherwise it is merely theft.

And while I am "flattered" that people have asked to use some of my images, I would NOT be flattered if they were stolen and then resold!

I could be wrong but I think the banners were created by members for members. I think there was a contest to win a free tshirt or something, but I believe it was just to raise awareness about the scubaboard trip.

Wow, and people say how busy their lives are........... Not that I can see.
If I took a picture, didn't copywrite it,(and yes you have to claim it yearly), then it can be open to public use. If it is sold, then you can ask for it to be recalled or removed. In any case...

Kate:

You are confused.

Here is the SB ad that contains a copy of my image...

Nope. Not confused. The picture I posted is the ONLY one bearing a resemblence on YOUR site, following YOUR link posted in YOUR sig. Not confused. But baffled now. Please send me the link to this particular image on YOUR site, please, out of curiousity :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom