Wanted Scubapro 109s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for sharing that info! From what I understand the 109s are a bit more dependable. Is that true.
I haven't heard any dependability issues from any of them to be honest. The trade offs really come down to preference issues. If you are looking for something to learn on for dealing with newer air barrel designs, the 109/156 will be the way to go. For bullet proof simplicity a 108 (or USD Conshelf) is the way to go. A balanced second stage will go longer without needing to be retuned, and won't react much to changes in intermediate pressure (read that as unbalanced piston first stages). An unbalanced second stage will need retuned more often, and will breathe stiffer as IP drops (read that as dropping tank pressure with unbalanced 1st stage). Main benefit of a 109 vs. a 108 is the ability to crank down the adjuster to reduce chance of freeflow when using the 109 as an octo. Seats for a balanced reg cost more, but last longer. So it all comes down to preference really.

Just my opinion... but I find myself leaning into the Conshelf/108 designs more. Dirt simple, reliable, and breathe great if tuned properly.

Respectfully,

james

The angle of the inlet fitting and the lack of adjustment knob tell me they are 108s. The 108 is a basic downstream valve (like the modern R190) that came as a standard 108 or a 108 HP (only difference being the HP having an adjustable orifice, vs. fixed orifice in the regular 108). The 109 is an air barrel design adjustable unbalanced reg, and the 156 or Balanced Adjustable is the balanced version. You can update a 109 to a BA by swapping the 109 poppet/spring/springpad group for an S-wing poppet/spring/balance chamber.

Respectfully,

James
Much appreciated, it must have been the 109 to 156 parts swapping that had me confused! Thank you for setting me straight!

I have a couple of low quality 109s (read - not super shiny) that are dismantled. They do require a rubber diaphragm and exhaust, but otherwise I believe all parts are there.

Can add photos tonight.
Would be interested, thanks!

I haven't heard any dependability issues from any of them to be honest. The trade offs really come down to preference issues. If you are looking for something to learn on for dealing with newer air barrel designs, the 109/156 will be the way to go. For bullet proof simplicity a 108 (or USD Conshelf) is the way to go. A balanced second stage will go longer without needing to be retuned, and won't react much to changes in intermediate pressure (read that as unbalanced piston first stages). An unbalanced second stage will need retuned more often, and will breathe stiffer as IP drops (read that as dropping tank pressure with unbalanced 1st stage). Main benefit of a 109 vs. a 108 is the ability to crank down the adjuster to reduce chance of freeflow when using the 109 as an octo. Seats for a balanced reg cost more, but last longer. So it all comes down to preference really.

Just my opinion... but I find myself leaning into the Conshelf/108 designs more. Dirt simple, reliable, and breathe great if tuned properly.

Respectfully,

james
Well lets see if the guy on Facebook gets back to me!

I seem to have the worst luck on Facebook. Its not that I never get a reply I dont even get my stuff read.

Keep in mind if you go this route you're completely dependent on the internet and having parts on hand.
I don't know of a dive shop that will service them, most would tell you they're not safe.

NO dive shop will sell you parts.

Service kit 11-109-045 (for the G200/Adjustable/M50) should work for the 109 -- I think they are referring to it as the "Adjustable" like the 156 is referred to as the "Balanced Adjustable."

Given ScubaPro's traditional evolutionary design, most of the internal parts from the unbalanced G200 (but not the G200B balanced second stage) are the same as the 109, with the 109 using the same type of adjustment knob from the G250. You can find service kits and some parts from European dealers where the EU Right-to-Repair laws make parts availability more common.

I listed some here. Fully updated to BA..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom