Scubapro chrome plated brass regulators...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about copper sheet trimmed to a friction fit.

I like the idea of copper sheet.

But I'm not sure a pure friction fit works if it's placed 1/3rd from the top of the mouthpiece tube as the tube section below will be bigger, so it could easily fall out. I was planning on using loctite 222 to hold the vane for testing. It holds but is easily removable, especially if it's heated.

If the venturi works well, then I would consider spot silver solder (lead free) to fix the vane in place.

I like the idea of copper sheet.

But I'm not sure a pure friction fit works if it's placed 1/3rd from the top of the mouthpiece tube as the tube section below will be bigger, so it could easily fall out. I was planning on using loctite 222 to hold the vane for testing. It holds but is easily removable, especially if it's heated.

If the venturi works well, then I would consider spot silver solder (lead free) to fix the vane in place.
I love my 109s, and I can't wait to see how this plays out!
Respectfully
James

[QUOTE

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-10_14-29-31.jpeg
    upload_2020-4-10_14-29-31.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 108
Kluged together a Venturi vane out of plastic directing air into the mouthpiece results below.

SP 156 static cracking effort .8 H20

Without vane:

CFM, H2O
5 - .9
10 - 1.2
12.5 - 1.9
15 - 2

With vane:

CFM, H2O
5 - .9
10 - .9
12.5 - 1
15 - 1.1

So my thoughts are the VIVA vane inhibits the Venturi effect but also creates the venture more so than case geometry.

Thought?

So a significant reduction in WOB from about 10CFM ?

What about the impact on free flows ?

Kluged together a Venturi vane out of plastic directing air into the mouthpiece results below.

Any pictures of what the vane looked like and where it was fixed in the mouthpiece tube would be appreciated.

No free flow... pic attached. What do you think should I change the angle or depth?

View attachment 579938

It has been mentioned before in another thread on SB, by @rsingler I believe, that the optimum angle of the VIVA is not fully open but at a small angle.

The fixed Apeks vane is also at an angle for the portion that projects into the regulator's body space. It projects into the body space about 20mm at a 40' downward angle, and has a 10mm straight section in the mouthpiece tube.

I notice your vane is placed about centre vertically in the mouthpiece tube. All the vanes I have seen are generally higher, about 1/4 or 1/3 from the top of the mouthpiece tube.

Back
Top Bottom