Scubapro chrome plated brass regulators...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here my 129. Just finished rebuilding with balanced chamber and spring, S-wing poppet and curly feet lever I received yesterday from @axxel57 ... Works GREAT!, no need of a Venturi vane on it!
Only problem, it will take months before we are allowed to go diving the the sea gain. Damn virus! I want to test it in the water!
oDE_wMZZ8PKrHhmTYMYX32-tipP0h_x5p4NkvtFWnpeYT_u584wxzhJ2YOEYW48he6Rj9Dn4gZC5l5o4kQ=w1263-h947-no.jpg

You sure about the 20mm into the body? seem deep.

The picture I posted earlier in the thread shows the shape and relative lengths of the vane. the portion in the mouthpiece tube is about 10mm. The portion inside the body extends to just before the air barrel and is angled down about 40'.

And here "the beauty", also received yesterday from @axxel57.
It is really NEW, it is still smelling of vanilla. This fantastic flavour triggered remembrances from the seventies, when I and my wife did buy our MKV sets.
Yesterday she almost cried when we opened the package arriving from Germany and we did smell the vanilla flavour... Who is so old here remembering this flavour coming from Scubapro rubber parts?
3JDU7jsJP577J-N2A-R-kpl_SjpwiMEJFJJqoiaDO951kDAePJgVuKU4Ms7-bn_eIBYuWwn4NomMQSOf7g=w1263-h947-no.jpg

Here my 129. Just finished rebuilding with balanced chamber and spring, S-wing poppet and curly feet lever I received yesterday from @axxel57 ... Works GREAT!, no need of a Venturi vane on it!
Only problem, it will take months before we are allowed to go diving the the sea gain. Damn virus! I want to test it in the water!
View attachment 579940

just tinkering and experimenting while locked down on dry land. :-(

And here "the beauty", also received yesterday from @axxel57.
It is really NEW, it is still smelling of vanilla. This fantastic flavour triggered remembrances from the seventies, when I and my wife did buy our MKV sets.
Yesterday she almost cried when we opened the package arriving from Germany and we did smell the vanilla flavour... Who is so old here remembering this flavour coming from Scubapro rubber parts?
View attachment 579942

@Angelo Farina I hope you have the opportunity to dive your new regulator and 129 in the sea soon !

The picture I posted earlier in the thread shows the shape and relative lengths of the vane. the portion in the mouthpiece tube is about 10mm. The portion inside the body extends to just before the air barrel and is angled down about 40'.
Ok making adjustments. Stay tuned.

Nice where does it crack at? Just tinkering and experimenting while locked down. I have a pool in Florida but can’t get there. :-(
Well, here at home I do not have the proper equipment for measuring it accurately, and my lab at the University is closed due to Coronavirus. I was not smart enough to bring home a digital differential pressure gauge and a digital flow meter before the closure...
I just tested in the basin, and with the knob all open the reg starts gently freeflowing when submerging slowly it keeping the mouthpiece up. So I estimate the cracking effort to be around 1 inch of water column. But what is very nice is the extremely smooth progression between closed and fully open valve you perceive breathing. No "woosh" effect or on-off effect. It is this perfect proportionality which I love more in these regs, it invites you to breath properly.
I do not know how to measure this effect, even if I had all the measuring instruments here at home. Any suggestion is welcome, I would really like to be able to measure this "smoothness", showing with a number the superiority of these old brass masterpieces over modern plastic things...
Perhaps logging both pressure inside the mouthpiece and air flow, and charting their ratio over time, and computing the slope of this time series? Or computing the RMS value of the pressure time series?
Fourier analysis?

Well, here at home I do not have the proper equipment for measuring it accurately, and my lab at the University is closed due to Coronavirus. I was not smart enough to bring home a digital differential pressure gauge and a digital flow meter before the closure...
I just tested in the basin, and with the knob all open the reg starts gently freeflowing when submerging slowly it keeping the mouthpiece up. So I estimate the cracking effort to be around 1 inch of water column. But what is very nice is the extremely smooth progression between closed and fully open valve you perceive breathing. No "woosh" effect or on-off effect. It is this perfect proportionality which I love more in these regs, it invites you to breath properly.
I do not know how to measure this effect, even if I had all the measuring instruments here at home. Any suggestion is welcome, I would really like to be able to measure this "smoothness", showing with a number the superiority of these old brass masterpieces over modern plastic things...
Perhaps logging both pressure inside the mouthpiece and air flow, and charting their ratio over time, and computing the slope of this time series? Or computing the RMS value of the pressure time series?
Fourier analysis?
You’re so right I have to agree breathing through these brass cans is so smooth and light the metal provides a different taste dampness. I have a small vac pump I used to simulate the suction on the mouthpiece with an inline flow meter 5 LPM. Trying to compare and graph the difference between the G250V and 156. My needle valve is very sloppy so it’s hard to get the precision needed, I have a new one coming Monday that should give me much better accuracy.

Back
Top Bottom