Scubapro Classic Plus vs. SeaQuest Pro QD+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tigerdiver

Reaction score
I'm new to diving and have read the Rodale's reviews on BC's as well as visited the LDS's and received their input. I've narrowed my decision to these two BC's and am looking for some feedback from some veteran divers and those who are familiar with these models. I will be diving in mostly temperate waters (Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico, and East Pacific.) May get into U/W photography so I like the pockets of the Classic +. If I'm not mistaken, would a comparison to the Sport + be a more apples to apples to the QD+ given the Sport + adjustable shoulder straps? Any and all comments / suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

Both those are fine jackets. My personal preference is for the Pro QD - fits me better and I like the mega-lift I can get on the surface with very little squeeze. It distributes the air all around the body well for easy positioning when taking pictures. If you can get in the pool with them, do so - with a tank down to about 700-500 psi - and swim around a bit - in addition to horizontal, try getting stable and neutrally buoyant on either side, head up and head down; see how stable you can be in those positions. Then get the one that works best for you.
Rick

Thanks for the input. I used the Classic Plus during my O/W certification and felt comfortable in it but I really didn't have anything else to compare it to. I'll stop by my LDS and try the QD + in the pool and see if I notice any differences, positive or negative. I'll post my newbie analysis here once I'm done.

This past weekend while assisting with an o/w class as a Divemaster Candidate, I got to try the SQ PRO-QD for the first time.

I liked it much for the same reasons that Rick described. There were also several other little detail features that I liked.

About the only thing I would add to it would be a crotch strap since it had a tendency to slowly ride up during my swims. But this could be due to *not* having any weight in the pockets since I was using a belt with the o/w class.

From my first time weekend usage of the ProQD, I would say it's as good a choice as any for a jacket style BC.

(I should add for the other readers benefit that I usually dive the OMS IQ with Backplate/wing, and I have also have bunches of dives in a Zeagle Ranger)

I used the pro-qd for my refresher course. It's nice and comfortable. Highly rated. Although they say the pockets are difficult to reach. For a jacket style this (or the unlimited) is probably what I'd get.

During my course I also tested a back float BC. More arm movement. Floats you horizontally. No Squeeze. I liked it so much I decided to go for a wing setup.

Do yourself a favor and try a back float BC before you purchase the standard model. It will give you a good feel for the range of BC's available.

It appears as though people are fairly satisfied with the QD + so far. Again, I will test it out and compare with the Scubapro Classic Plus and decide to go with the one that is most comfortable in various positions. Thanks again for the input.

Got a Pro QD+ about 3 months ago. I'm very satisfied with it. See if you can try it and then you'll know which of the 2 suits you best.

The QD+ is a great BC. I'd recommend it to any diver looking for a jacket type BC.

I've never used the ScubaPro Classic, but my Rescue Diver instructor advised me that many of his R.D. candidates have had a hard time removing the SPro Classic from divers during the unconscious diver rescue simulation.

Well, I tested the Seaquest Pro QD and decided I liked it enough over the Scubapro to buy it. I was only able to test it in a 16 ft pool but my hovers and fin pivots were great and it was very comfortable. I practiced some active attitude and direction changes in the makeshift obstacle course and had no problems in manuervability or neutral bouyancy.

Despite what the Rodale's review stated, I could retrieve items under water without much difficulty but it was quite difficult to do at the surface with 50% air in the bladder.

As far as the power inflator goes it is very ergonomical and I like having the inflate/ deflate buttons on opposite sides whereas the Classic Plus buttons are on the same side and required looking to make sure I didn't press the wrong one on accident. The Air 2 on the Scubapro was less restricvtive and didn't breath as wet as the QD + but I figured I wasn't going to be using the Air 2 much as a reg HOPEFULLY!!

The QD + with Air 2 was $650 vs $830 for the Scubapro and I didn't see what caused the difference except for a larger bladder and 2 more small pockets.

Bottom line is I am quite pleased with my purchase and appreciate all the feedback from those who gave it.

I use Scubapro Classic and I love it. This BC as long as it fit in your body then it will give you good buoyancy control, since it doesn't have any adjustment buckles like ProQD has.
However, some dive shop here in Bali suggest that Seaquest is more durable and easy to maintain rather than Scubapro, and also the spare part is not so expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom