Scubapro Climasphere Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajduplessis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have been looking to add thermals to my current collection of layering for drysuit use. The major problem we have here in South Africa is the limited(read non-existent) range. You have to order “blindly” of the internet; or from a LDS and they don’t carry stock due to the very, very small technical or cold water diving community. You have to trust the sizing charts, pay in full and hope the product fits correctly and more importantly that your expectation match the sales pitch on the brochure.

During my research/drooling phase looking at garments like Whites and Forth Element I by luck stumbled onto the Scubapro drysuit page. Thou Scubapro have had some solid drysuit products they are not know for quality thermal garments IMO. I was therefore very exited (I am a big SP supporter) to note a new item. The Scubapro Climasphere. I was even more exited to hear that SP actual had a demo in country and on its way to a Navy special diving unit for evaluation. Long story short, I had the opportunity to see/feel the product first hand and get a feel for size. I order mine and received it 2 days ago.

Here my review of the Scubapro Climasphere. Product link here: SCUBAPRO - Climasphere

Firstly, the thickness of the windproof, breathable 4-way stretch Fleece material (430g/m2) used is thicker/warmer than any images will make you believe. The garment is a 2 peace offering with a full "wetsuit" style base and an additional "farmer john" style outer that can be added depending on water temperature. All components is of exceptional quality (fleece, zipper, neoprene sleeves, cut and stitching). The fleece is extremely flexible/stretchable and very, very comfortable.

The wrist and ankles have neoprene sleeves with thumb loops and stirrups to keep every in place as you get suited up. I must admit that the neoprene sleeve does an already great job of this and I doubt that I will ever use the cuff loop. The neoprene seals also help retain the heat within the garment and makes a big difference with heat retention IMO.

I can tell you that this “modular” garment will keep you toasty in most, if not all water temperatures. The fleece is 430g/m2 that can be doubled if you add the outer layer. I have not had the opportunity to dive with this but the couple of minutes I had it on tells me this is going to very warm. I will give an update on this once I have been in the water, hopefully within the next week or 2.

The other amazing fact is that this material is windproof but also breathable, I was bit skeptical about this claim but can confirm that it is the case. Thus if you don’t want to get out of your thermals between dives, you can do so. The stretchy nature of the fleece will hug and follow the contour of your body reducing the real estate with your drysuit. You will see in the attached pic how the garment hugs my already “aerodynamic package”. It’s not the greatest of images, but will give you idea of what both layer fitted will look like.

climasphere.jpg

In short my first impression if that this is a great product that will keep me very, very warm. Update on actual diving to follow soon.

Any update of in water experience and temps

Thanks for the review. Have you an update of your in water experience? Specifically temp range of comfort and mobility. Maybe a mention of what other UGs you have used in past by comparison.
thanks

I have been looking to add thermals to my current collection of layering for drysuit use. The major problem we have here in South Africa is the limited(read non-existent) range. You have to order “blindly” of the internet; or from a LDS and they don’t carry stock due to the very, very small technical or cold water diving community. You have to trust the sizing charts, pay in full and hope the product fits correctly and more importantly that your expectation match the sales pitch on the brochure.

During my research/drooling phase looking at garments like Whites and Forth Element I by luck stumbled onto the Scubapro drysuit page. Thou Scubapro have had some solid drysuit products they are not know for quality thermal garments IMO. I was therefore very exited (I am a big SP supporter) to note a new item. The Scubapro Climasphere. I was even more exited to hear that SP actual had a demo in country and on its way to a Navy special diving unit for evaluation. Long story short, I had the opportunity to see/feel the product first hand and get a feel for size. I order mine and received it 2 days ago.

Here my review of the Scubapro Climasphere. Product link here: SCUBAPRO - Climasphere

Firstly, the thickness of the windproof, breathable 4-way stretch Fleece material (430g/m2) used is thicker/warmer than any images will make you believe. The garment is a 2 peace offering with a full "wetsuit" style base and an additional "farmer john" style outer that can be added depending on water temperature. All components is of exceptional quality (fleece, zipper, neoprene sleeves, cut and stitching). The fleece is extremely flexible/stretchable and very, very comfortable.

The wrist and ankles have neoprene sleeves with thumb loops and stirrups to keep every in place as you get suited up. I must admit that the neoprene sleeve does an already great job of this and I doubt that I will ever use the cuff loop. The neoprene seals also help retain the heat within the garment and makes a big difference with heat retention IMO.

I can tell you that this “modular” garment will keep you toasty in most, if not all water temperatures. The fleece is 430g/m2 that can be doubled if you add the outer layer. I have not had the opportunity to dive with this but the couple of minutes I had it on tells me this is going to very warm. I will give an update on this once I have been in the water, hopefully within the next week or 2.

The other amazing fact is that this material is windproof but also breathable, I was bit skeptical about this claim but can confirm that it is the case. Thus if you don’t want to get out of your thermals between dives, you can do so. The stretchy nature of the fleece will hug and follow the contour of your body reducing the real estate with your drysuit. You will see in the attached pic how the garment hugs my already “aerodynamic package”. It’s not the greatest of images, but will give you idea of what both layer fitted will look like.

View attachment 159954

In short my first impression if that this is a great product that will keep me very, very warm. Update on actual diving to follow soon.

I have dived only the one-piece "base" is 54f water, exposure around 100min. The garment is warm, very warm and comfortable. I cant see wearing the additional outer core as the water here is not cold enough. I wear nothing else under my drysuit, only the climashere

The mobility is beyond fantastic, light and comfortable.The neoprene sleeves causes perspiration and is a bit tight for my liking. The "base" also have pockets for your hands during SI, but they are pretty useless for anything else (keys or wallet). Maybe mod for my wife to add zips?? The fleece tends to "shed" fluffy bits, not a lot but will continue to monitor.

My cave buddy uses the MK3, we have similar temp tolerances and it seems like both products compare similar. The mobility compared to Whites is light years ahead IMO. I really like this UG, not sure how it compares $$$ to a Halo3d or arctics?? Really worth a 2nd look if you are in the market.

Back
Top Bottom