Scubapro D400 can't be serviced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mk 10--also 30 years old and that got serviced just fine. Missed service was in 2014 when my mom was very ill so I had other things on my mind. It has been serviced annually since.
Even if you hadn’t missed the service the parts aren’t available, the same will be true for the MK 10 at some point, if you need a piston that will be that.
These can be kept in service but not by an “authorized” shop, your LDS is just following the rules that the “factory” has placed them under to keep that authorization.

If @Kupu can't provide what you need, send me a PM. I have spares of every D-400 part, except the predive spring, and I can make those up from spring wire if needed. Most of my parts are NOS (New Old Stock), not used parts.
I've been diving the D's for 35 years and don't plan to stop, except maybe to add the new D420 to the pack.
And the most fragile part - the orifice, can be hand restored. But I even have a few new 350 and 400 orifices.

Wait, I lied. I don't have spare Delrin orifices for the very last model. They were garbage. But I can "downgrade" you to the better metal variant that preceded it. But they MAY still be on SP's parts list.

the cyklon 2nd is still current, albeit with some revisions. the unbalanced 300 first stage and the 29xx first stages from the 5000 version are not. if you were trying to fix one of those and depending on the part you needed, you could be SOL also.

You may believe it; but that's not the case. Frankly, they had very few fiddly things to be concerned about; that's part of their continual appeal. The first stage kits, 3886 and 3884, service the 2940 and 2980 versions of the the Cyklon 300, which are still readily available from Poseidon; so too the 2950, 2960, 3950, and 3960. There is a potential wear and tear valve piston issue with the 300s, since those are no longer manufactured; but I have always been able to find those parts on the secondary market; have squirreled away a couple; and may even have an SB member service one my others, to get at an even newer one . . .

Yep, an authorized shop cannot jeopardize its relationship with the mother country by helping you... they can't even install parts you furnish. Off to the dark side....
That is not what problem is. It is liability. If an accident occurs, even if regulator had nothing to do with incident you know for sure some lawyer will bring up issue of improper service was done and facility that did service gets sued

My LDS will service D400's with the NOS parts that they maintain. This remains an authorized service, if actual SP new parts are used.
Unlike the Mark VII Honker, this is NOT a "withdrawn from service" regulator. Those of you suggesting that service is not possible, are mistaken. At the tech Level 3 seminars, SP clearly lists which parts are no longer available, unless you retain them in stock. But if you have parts in stock, reg restoration is both allowed, and legally defensible.

For example, two years ago, SP revealed that a few Mk10+ piston kits were found and would be released to those shops that requested them. I got two. So even for "no longer supported" regs, SP has some parts. The D400 is a supported reg, albeit with not much remaining support.

Those of you with LDS' that won't service them, send 'em to Marin Diving Center in San Rafael, CA.

You may believe it; but that's not the case. Frankly, they had very few fiddly things to be concerned about; that's part of their continual appeal. The first stage kits, 3886 and 3884, service the 2940 and 2980 versions of the the Cyklon 300, which are still readily available from Poseidon; so too the 2950, 2960, 3950, and 3960. There is a potential wear and tear piston issue with the 300s, since those are no longer manufactured; but I have always been able to find those parts on the secondary market; have squirreled away a couple; and may even have an SB member service one my others, to get at an even newer one . . .

the service kits are the same, but you can't order a replacement 29xx body nowadays. same issue the d400 has that you can get the service kit but not replacement parts.

the service kits are the same, but you can't order a replacement 29xx body nowadays. same issue the d400 has that you can get the service kit but not replacement parts.

I have not had the novel experience of having to replace the body or significant internals of any regulator that I have ever owned. An idiot, at a launch ramp, did once kill a second stage; but that was easily replaced.

Coincidentally, I just managed to buy five new fiddly bits -- valve pistons -- for the 300s, during the course of this thread. Considering that the current ones have lasted decades, I'll be diving with them as a member of the undead; that, or be generous to a couple of friends, who may be in need . . .

L1130652.JPG
If @Kupu can't provide what you need, send me a PM. I have spares of every D-400 part, except the predive spring, and I can make those up from spring wire if needed. Most of my parts are NOS (New Old Stock), not used parts.
I've been diving the D's for 35 years and don't plan to stop, except maybe to add the new D420 to the pack.
And the most fragile part - the orifice, can be hand restored. But I even have a few new 350 and 400 orifices.

Wait, I lied. I don't have spare Delrin orifices for the very last model. They were garbage. But I can "downgrade" you to the better metal variant that preceded it. But they MAY still be on SP's parts list.

And if Rob gets short in D parts, he might get new or used ones from me for you, if necessary......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom