Scubapro dive mask for free diving/snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, I don't know much about low volume or high volume. Which is better for snorkeling? I don't dive deep at all, maybe 10-15 feet. Majority of the use of the mask will be for snorkeling in bora bora. Thanks!

Wow, that one mask is really expensive. I think there are very little (or no) drawbacks to a low volume mask for scuba diving or snorkeling. For freediving deeper than 30 feet or so, the advantages of a low volume mask become more clear - because it takes less of your lung volume to equalize the pressure.

For scuba, the most important aspects are comfort, non-leaking and negligible restriction on peripheral and especially downward visibility. The extra air it takes to equalize a larger volume mask on scuba is completely irrelevant.

We also offer a low volume dive mask that is great for scuba and snorkeling and freediving and I guarantee it will fit and you will love it - or I will take it back - as simple as that.

The MAKO Minimus mask.. you can find it on our website (for a whole lot less than you might expect).

Dive Safe!
Dano

Hi Dano, looks good. I like the guarantee. Does the mini come in white color? I have a very thin and long face so it's hard to find good masks. Also how long does it take to receive the mask ? I live in California.

Thanks!

Thanks for the inquiry. We have any color you want as long as it is black. Black is thought by many people to be better because it helps to sheild the eyes from too much light and may assist in acclimating to going from the bright surface to looking into a dark hole. That is supposedly one benefit over a clear skirt.

White masks are not very common in my experience - I'm not sure why. We will ship your mask (from Virginia) on the same business day you place the order - so a few days to get there.

The MAKO Mini fits a huge proportion of our customers, so much so that I can offer to take it back if you don't love it. So that's the best and most honest answer I can give you about the "Mini". If it fits, you will love it - super low volume and this is accomplished by placing the face plate very, very close to the eyes. So the downward and side to side visibility is unrestricted. Don't be put off by the low price, we only sell direct - no dealers or retail stores to jack up the overhead.

Don't forget to consider thermal and sun and sting protection on your up coming trip. We have suits, lycra skins and about anything else you might need for the trip. If the order goes to $100; it all ships free.

Hi, hope it's OK to tag along to this thread. We are freediver/snorkelers and have been very happy with our Scubapro SOLARA masks for years. We have the kind with the black skirt because I have a problem getting dazzled after hours snorkeling over white/light bottom (eg Bonaire).

We are going on a liveaboard to Raja Ampat in 2019 and it occurs to me that the masks will be old then (still look in good shape, well cared for, but 10 years old) and maybe we should have backups anyway in case one breaks on the boat.

We have prescription lenses and got our current masks at a dive shop in Hawaii (not where we live). Does anyone know where I can get them online where they will put the prescription lenses in? I know the strengths.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the inquiry. We have any color you want as long as it is black. Black is thought by many people to be better because it helps to shield the eyes from too much light and may assist in acclimating to going from the bright surface to looking into a dark hole. That is supposedly one benefit over a clear skirt.

White masks are not very common in my experience - I'm not sure why. We will ship your mask (from Virginia) on the same business day you place the order - so a few days to get there.

The MAKO Mini fits a huge proportion of our customers, so much so that I can offer to take it back if you don't love it. So that's the best and most honest answer I can give you about the "Mini". If it fits, you will love it - super low volume and this is accomplished by placing the face plate very, very close to the eyes. So the downward and side to side visibility is unrestricted. Don't be put off by the low price, we only sell direct - no dealers or retail stores to jack up the overhead.

Don't forget to consider thermal and sun and sting protection on your up coming trip. We have suits, lycra skins and about anything else you might need for the trip. If the order goes to $100; it all ships free.

I thought it appropriate to update this thread/post. We now have 3 color options for the MAKO Minimus mask. Blue, Brown and Black.

Minimus Mini Freedive Mask | MAKO Spearguns

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom