ScubaPro/Faber tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chimaera

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi I am looking at a tank markings on crown as follows Faber M8303 97/8601/ 177

next line reads TC-3AAM-184 DOT-3AA-2400 REE73.

The tank filled to about 2400 psi weighs in at 47 lbs boot ,valve and air.At about 500 psi it weighs 41 lb.

Tank dia is 8 in, circumference 25 in .

All this points to a steel lp 95 in my books . the tank height of 25 in bottom (boot removed) to top (base of valve) kind of throws me a bit.
Anybody have any ideas??
Also regarding the 184 bar mark. is this the same as a + sign? does it signify a 10% over fill from 2400 or a fill pressure of 184 bar or 2700 psi.
Any help clarifying would be great. I am on my way to purchase 2 of these on Sunday afternoon.
Thanks

Last edited:
It's a Faber Lp 108. I used to have a set of these. Nice tanks, not as negative as PST's tho.

In Canada, you technically are supposed to fill them to the metric marking or 184 bar/2668 psi.

Perhaps. On the weight end i would agree .although i believe the weights are quoted without valves or boots and completely empty.
The height according to Faber would be 26 and 3/4 in. for the 108.
I am still mystified . I wonder if the tank lengths varied at all over the years?
Thanks
Bill

Yes Knowone, they seem to. It is where my confusion lies. 108cu foot is 26.8 in long ,95 cu ft is 23.8 in. long. The length I have been told is 25 in. Pretty hard to gain or lose an inch or two i would think.
I have looked at the spec sheets from Huron Scuba and Tech Diving ltd and just cannot seem to make sense of it.
The fellow selling the tanks was told by someone that they were lp 68's which even further muddies the water and is the least believable .
I have found no information on ScubaPro branded Faber tanks from 97 at all.
I have been hoping someone will recognise something in the serial #'s but beyond the REE # of 73 or the # 177 spaced about three or four empty spaces from the last backslash at the end of the serial # there is no descriptor. I have looked through many threads by folks dealing with Faber tanks here on the board and it sure appears to me that.things would be much simpler if Faber just labeled their tanks so most of us could know what they are more easily.
Thanks Bill

To find the volume of the cylinder, fill it with water and carefully measure how much filled it. Once you know how many litres it is, a little math can calculate the volume of gas it will hold at 2400 psi.

Plenty of folks here can help you with that.

Stu.
Thanks.
It is the best way to figure it out. Once I own them I likely will . I am going tomorrow to pick them up. Don't think present owner would let me .
Presently I am still trying to puzzle out exactly what they are by visual identification and external measuring.
Regards Bill

I just found that the Ree 73 is normally on the lp 95's. Once you get them, email Faber with the serial number and they should be able to tell you exactly what they are.

Jim

Thanks Jim
I am leaving for ferry in just over an hour. Will pick up tanks , measure circumference,ht and check weight but I am 90%sure they are lp95s with a mystery? measure of 25 in tank bottom to top of neck .
Bill

Not necessarily. Faber has made the LP95s for many years, and there have been minor changes in them, with (slightly) different REEs - 73 and 75 being most common but there may be others. Still, close enough for identification purposes.

I just found that the Ree 73 is normally on the lp 95's. Once you get them, email Faber with the serial number and they should be able to tell you exactly what they are.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom