ScubaPro/Faber tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm betting on LP95. Can you post a pic? 95s and 108s look pretty different.

You don't need to fill it with water, just get a known tank and transfill between them.

Yes Knowone, they seem to. It is where my confusion lies. 108cu foot is 26.8 in long ,95 cu ft is 23.8 in. long. The length I have been told is 25 in. Pretty hard to gain or lose an inch or two i would think.
I have looked at the spec sheets from Huron Scuba and Tech Diving ltd and just cannot seem to make sense of it.
The fellow selling the tanks was told by someone that they were lp 68's which even further muddies the water and is the least believable .
I have found no information on ScubaPro branded Faber tanks from 97 at all.
I have been hoping someone will recognise something in the serial #'s but beyond the REE # of 73 or the # 177 spaced about three or four empty spaces from the last backslash at the end of the serial # there is no descriptor. I have looked through many threads by folks dealing with Faber tanks here on the board and it sure appears to me that.things would be much simpler if Faber just labeled their tanks so most of us could know what they are more easily.
Thanks Bill

The Fabers run a serial number that is situated like this. year / batch number / cylinder number in the batch. I had 7 to test the other day that were same year and batch number and almost sequential in cylinder number. The 177 means it was the 177th cylinder made in that batch.

Thanks guys. Just got back
Sorry but I do not have any pics. I picked them up last night. Fresh hydro's and vis with convertible DIN valves. very good looking condition pair.
I am 99% sure they are lp 95s. They are however more like 24.5 in tall rather than 23.8 in spec but look like most every other lp 95 I have ever seen. They had another couple #'s on other side
SCUBAPRO 01 triangle 97 + which I take to be just another date stamp and a 10% plus rating
Good addition to my pile. I will give them a swim.
Thanks again

If they are SP branded, and have a REE of 73, they are almost certainly 95s. Though it is hard to say for sure, since SP stopped cataloguing tanks around the year 2000, I don't recall ever seeing an SP 108. And the REE is confirmation, as anything smaller or larger would have a notably different REE.

I am 99% sure they are lp 95s. They are however more like 24.5 in tall rather than 23.8 in spec but look like most every other lp 95 I have ever seen.

Vance
Thanks for the information. I have been using a couple pst 100s and getting light fills forever even when shop turns on compressor and tops off tanks outside cascade to when their compressor shuts down at about 3500. I am lucky to get 3100 so call them the 10% minus tanks. I am happy to get a couple tanks where i will not be facing this any more. Fresh Hydro does not have a + on it though so hope i don't find them just filling to 2400 or will not have gained anything . Regards Bill

Vance,

Can you confirm for me. I was under the impression that in Canada, the fill pressure was the metric number, in this case 184 bar?

Jim

Jimmer
Great idea. I am also very interested in hearing if 2670 is what i should expect at lds
Jimmer are you a charter operator? I run a charter boat in Powell River.

Regards
Bill

Your are correct. Canada back in 1990 or so switched to it's own, metric, specification instead of just going by the DOT regs, and while they were at it, made the 10% "+" overfill the norm, so a DOT/TC-rated LP tank like this one that has a US fill pressure of 2640 psi with the plus and 2400 psi without in Canada has a single fill pressure of 184 bar - which works out to about 2668 psi. Metric spec tanks can be spotted by the M between the TC material designator - 3ALM or 3AAM - and the fill pressure in bar.

The DOT was going to do something similar at one point, to get rid of the "+" but ended up adding the new UN tank specification instead.

Older, pre-metric tanks can still be rated for the "+" in Canada.

Vance,

Can you confirm for me. I was under the impression that in Canada, the fill pressure was the metric number, in this case 184 bar?

Jim

Jimmer
Great idea. I am also very interested in hearing if 2670 is what i should expect at lds
Jimmer are you a charter operator? I run a charter boat in Powell River.

Regards
Bill

I'm not a charter operator myself, but I am a DM for a shop that operates charters, and as a result I do a lot of guiding new divers/setting the hook/first to drop down the shotline etc.

Your are correct. Canada back in 1990 or so switched to it's own, metric, specification instead of just going by the DOT regs, and while they were at it, made the 10% "+" overfill the norm, so a DOT/TC-rated LP tank like this one that has a US fill pressure of 2640 psi with the plus and 2400 psi without in Canada has a single fill pressure of 184 bar - which works out to about 2668 psi. Metric spec tanks can be spotted by the M between the TC material designator - 3ALM or 3AAM - and the fill pressure in bar.

The DOT was going to do something similar at one point, to get rid of the "+" but ended up adding the new UN tank specification instead.

Older, pre-metric tanks can still be rated for the "+" in Canada.

Good to know, that would explain why the last time I sent lp tanks in for hydro, I didn't get the + I asked for.

Thanks Vance. your timing is fortuitous.
After way to long with the 100's getting the 10%minus fills from the lds an employee there started to tell me that the 95's could only be filled to 2400 psi as after the first hydro they could no longer get the + rating overfill. I shall print them a copy of this so I can get a proper fill.
Thanks ever so much .
Bill
On a completely different topic that is also related to these two tanks who have just passed hydro/vis in Dec. 2010. I partial pressure blend myself and have 02 cleaned my other tanks and used Viton orings. Having come straight out of a vis and hydro would you pull the valves 02 clean the tanks,valves and change out the orings or ???

Back
Top Bottom