ScubaPro G-500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry that happened to you. The o-ring could have been nicked, pinched, or even defective.

I looked again with my glasses. The O-Ring would have been fantastic if the tech hand't put the bottom bushing on up-side down.

You can see where the O-ring extruded over the bushing and there is a quasi-imprint on it. I can see the mold marks.

What was funny is when I pressurized it after the problem manifest, it took a couple seconds before the leak started. Took that long for the o-ring to creep. And the reg slightly hissed when I took it off the bottle, it was holding back a tiny bit of pressure on the HP side.

Creepy IP was a symptom of the problem. I knew it didn't look right when I was struggling with the G-500. I know good IP response when I see it. The needle on the gauge should snap to attention in a military manner. This was more inebriated.

What is ironic is if I hadn't left that bottle on all night with the leaky G-500 by mistake, it likely would have let go during a dive. I carry a 30cu/ft pony with a R-190/MK-2 as a bail-out when diving solo like today but still, this counts as my worst equipment failure.

I have the bench sheet from the shop with the date and the test results pre and post rebuild. Should I let the owner know?

Hell, I want my O-ring back!

PS THIS IS WHY YOU NEED TO PAY ATTENTION WHEN REBUILDING A MK-20/25. IF YOU HALF-ASS IT, IT WILL BITE YOU IN THE ASS!

Like , I said, you learn far more from your problem children than your successes.

Last edited:
Like , I said, you learn far more from your problem children than your successes.

I robbed an O-Ring out of an old MK-20 kit. I need to replace it.

I lubed and re-assembled it. It seems to be working ok. Ran out of time, will check the IP tomorrow.

Does anyone know the Mcmaster-Carr part number for that o-ring?

What is the SP p/n?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom