Scubapro G250 V now in US site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBRES1

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was just looking at the Scubapro site tonight , and found that they have replaced the G250 with the G250 V on the site.
Is the G250 now obsolete ? and can I get better pricing on them ?
Thanks, Jim breslin

Normally when SP discontinues a reg, they release dealers from the pricing agreements so they can sell them at a deeper discount. Unless policies have changed that would be the case here - provided SP is considering the G250HP as being discontinued. The website still shows the X650 which rumor had it was also discontinued a few months ago.

So, my old post is still valid.. It is about 19 month ago though. MK25SA was gone and X650 next..

Well, it seems the G250V is a step in the right direction for SP in terms of design, and they must recognize the continued appeal of some of the older regs. Maybe they'll get really smart and reissue the old metal case 2nd stages.

The Balanced Adjustable was great but I want the D400 back. Well...not really - it is a superb reg but can very finicky to tune.

What I want is a little cross breeding with a redesign of the X650 using the easy to tune and more or less tech proof X650 poppet but with a redesigned (but still angled) case incorporating a coaxial exhaust valve and diaphrgam design as used in the D400.

It would require some talented engineering to get the lever/diaphragm interface right but it would solve the wet breathing issue and the case gemometry fault issue that limits the usable inhalation performance of the X650 and SP would have a second stage that the average not so experienced or well trained tech could trouble shoot and service.

Do you know what...

D400 is still in the market in Asia. Yes, you can get the brand new one, not old inventory (might be)

This raises a question; does the D400 have the metal air barrel that is so nice on the old style G250? Ideally, you'd want the "new" D400 to have that feature as well. Or, best of all, how about a metal case 2nd stage with the geometry of the D400?

I did borrow my friend's D400 on a dive once (one he bought from DA aquamaster) and it was a superb breather, especially when looking up. There's something about the smoothness of air flow in my old balanced adjustable that I find very appealing. It's not a quantitative thing, more subjective.

I hope they bring back the D400 (maybe D400V as this seems to be their latest sales stragegy - read gimick). What is this about, get yesterday's technology at today's prices??? Seriously, I would prefer to see a reissue of the D400 stateside.

The D400 uses a metal aispirator body. The old version of the D400 (pre 1994ish) and all of the preveious D300 and D350 regulators had a built in metal orifice. This was superb as the metal orifce made the D400 very easy to tune and resulted in low inhalation efforts around .5" or .6" of water and the heat transfer was excellent and minimized dry mouth.

The new and "improved" aspirator used a plastic orifice that could be inserted inside the metal aspirator body. Compared to the older D400 it sucks as the plastic orifice is harder to tune does not (usually) result in as low a cracking effort and tends to insulate the gas passing through the aspirator which seems to increase dry mouth a bit. The upside was that if the orifice were damaged it was an $8 fix rather than a $45 fix. But on the other hand the metal orifce almost never got damaged and it did get damaged it was almost always because the tech damaged so it would not cost the customer anything anyway.

So if they bring back a "D400V", I'd prefer it have an all metal orifice.

The D400 uses a metal aispirator body. The old version of the D400 (pre 1994ish) and all of the preveious D300 and D350 regulators had a built in metal orifice. This was superb as the metal orifce made the D400 very easy to tune and resulted in low inhalation efforts around .5" or .6" of water and the heat transfer was excellent and minimized dry mouth.

The new and "improved" aspirator used a plastic orifice that could be inserted inside the metal aspirator body. Compared to the older D400 it sucks as the plastic orifice is harder to tune does not (usually) result in as low a cracking effort and tends to insulate the gas passing through the aspirator which seems to increase dry mouth a bit. The upside was that if the orifice were damaged it was an $8 fix rather than a $45 fix. But on the other hand the metal orifce almost never got damaged and it did get damaged it was almost always because the tech damaged so it would not cost the customer anything anyway.

So if they bring back a "D400V", I'd prefer it have an all metal orifice.

I agree. Mega ditto's.
Some of the older regs were really great performers. I have a Sherwood Oasis + (circa 1980's) that is bullet proof and a great breathing reg. Heavy duty , American made, good stuff. I haven't found the more recent incarnations of the Oasis to be as good. Maybe the vintage thing is a good idea, IF THEY USE THE ORIGINAL PARTS AND/OR DESIGN.

Back
Top Bottom