Scubapro G500, S550, S600?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reubencahn

Contributor
Reaction score
Can someone knowledgeable about such things explain the real world differences amongst these? Is the S600 worth the extra money? Would a used G500 be a decent alternative?

To my knowledge the only differences between the S550 and the S600 are the looks and the fact that the S600 has an adjustable inhalation effort control, which IMO is not a very useful feature anyway.

The other thing is that the S600 is usually sold with the MK25 or MK25AF first stage, whereas the S550 is sold either with the MK25 or MK25 AF or MK16 first stage. Probably an LDS can pair an S600 with an MK16 if you wanted, but this may be more expensive.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

I don't know the G500 and believe it is discontinued.

The S600 and G500 are functionally ther same. However, the G500 has undergone a number of upgrades from which the S600 evolved. The S600 and newest G500's have a composite barrel and a 1 piece poppet with two o-rings and new style (clear) diaphram. Older G500's may have a metal barrel, old style diaphram (black) and a 2 piece poppet or 1 piece poppet with a single o-ring. (mine has the metal barrel, black diaphram & upgraded poppet). After upgrades, the only difference should be the cover design. Some folks complained of the G500 cover catching gloves when purging.

The S550 differs from the S600 by the adjustment feature as well as lacking the second balance chamber which produces the "anti-set poppet feature" that allows the LP seat to pull away from the orifice when not under pressure.

I find the adjustment feature to be very useful when diving in current.

If $$ is the problem, look at the G250HP which is the same as the S600 but in the larger case.

S600 is the most updated version with an adjustable control. Get the latest one; you won't be sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom