scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have some friends who have one and they all rave about it. Some have said it’s the best BC they have ever dived. But i know they haven’t dived BP/Ws. I know one of theirs broke in a specific spot and they had to get it repaired and it isn’t a fix you can do while on a liveaboard or away, apparently. I think this was a common problem and perhaps it is fixed now. There’s a thread about it here, I believe.

TBH, I think it’s really expensive and you would be better off getting a BP/W. I think that’s the route I’ll go once I need a new BC.

Hi, I just tried a hydrospro in a pool and I had the problem where it kept tipping me forward. I could not stay in a horizontal position when I tried a safety stop position. We adjusted a few pounds of weight to the bottom front of the rig but it only helped a little. I've been diving 40 years and never had this problem. I was told this would be much worse with a bp/w. So I"m sort of afraid to consider a bw/p. How do people adjust for this?

Hi, I just tried a hydrospro in a pool and I had the problem where it kept tipping me forward. I could not stay in a horizontal position when I tried a safety stop position. We adjusted a few pounds of weight to the bottom front of the rig but it only helped a little. I've been diving 40 years and never had this problem. I was told this would be much worse with a bp/w. So I"m sort of afraid to consider a bw/p. How do people adjust for this?
@Dave Kay, As others have mentioned, there is certainly nothing wrong with the Hydros, it's a good BC. For me, the ability to carry 6 lbs in my backplate is gold. It means that I only have to add 2 lbs of weight when I dive an AL 80. I just stick that 2 lbs in a pocket weight and no weigh belt for me! And my plate and wing is less expensive, so it's a win-win.

You can also dive an AL backplate, which is lighter for air travel, and weighs only about 2 lbs. When flying, I don't find the extra 4 lbs in my luggage is a big deal and I prefer not having to add that extra 4 lbs of lead when I dive.

My rig probably doesn't exactly match a hogarithian prescription, but it's pretty simple. I just use a single piece webbing strung through the backplate. I started out using a deluxe harness, because honestly I was afraid of the single piece webbing and backplate, it looked like a torture rig to me. I found the rig with a deluxe padded harness to be comfortable, but then decided the padded harness had too much junk. I then moved to simple, single piece webbing with no padding and couldn't be happier. It doesn't look like it, but it's super comfortable and the single piece harness is WAY, WAY easier to fit and adjust in your backplate than a deluxe padded harness.

As for brands, I have several and I'm not really particular to any one. I find they all work well. If you can get them from your local shop, that might be the way to go as they can help you set it up. Otherwise, you might try Deep Sea Supply. The owner, Tobin, is here on SB frequently. I've never done business with him, but other folks have suggested he provides really great service. As far as I know, he's also the only one who makes backplates in different sizes so you can customize a fit if you are especially tall or short.

Deep Sea Supply -Backplates & Wings-SMB-HoseHat_Single tank & doubles Tank Scuba rigs_

I don’t have that problem. I suspect(only a guess) that you over inflated at the surface which could cause the problem. Try it again with less inflation so the bcd is half in/half out of the water. You should be able to stay vertical with no effort.

Try a BPW with stainless plate add weight to the cam bands and probably recheck the weight needed so you can use less air in the b/c.

I just re-read your post. I see you were referring to the safety stop not on the surface. I don’t have that problem either. Did you use the weight pockets? It would think putting weights in the back pockets would be a better idea.

I just re-read your post. I see you were referring to the safety stop not on the surface. I don’t have that problem either. Did you use the weight pockets? It would think putting weights in the back pockets would be a better idea.
no i was in a pool and kept my depth 4 feet off the bottom, weights in the back pockets had me flipping back worst than when placed in the pockets on the bottom of the rig.

I don’t have that problem. I suspect(only a guess) that you over inflated at the surface which could cause the problem. Try it again with less inflation so the bcd is half in/half out of the water. You should be able to stay vertical with no effort.
I was 4 feet off the bottom of the pool floor fully submerged. Not at the surface.

Just so I am understanding you correctly: you were trying to mimic a safety stop while trying to stay trim but it kept tipping you forward - does that mean your feet were coming up and your head was going down like you were swimming down?

A BP/wing excels at keeping you in horizontal trim. The hydros is (I think) a back inflate BC, so I'm a little surprised you had this trouble with it. Regardless, with a BP/wing, you can adjust the position of the wing up or down a few inches on the backplate. Even though it's not a much in way of linear distance, it allows you to make adjustments and can really make a big difference with your trim.

I was 4 feet off the bottom of the pool floor fully submerged. Not at the surface.
Hi, thanks for reply, it means my head was going back, feet came up. I usually hang out either straight up and down or with legs crossed in a sitting position

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom