"Scubapro" Jet fins, ND Jet fins, IDI Jetfins!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frog

Reaction score
Hi there.

I will probably be buying some "Jet fins" soon and wondered if some of you divers have tried the different brands of Jetfins since the Scubapro patent on jet fins has expired. I got excited when i saw some jetfins in my LDS (local dive shop) for 35 pounds. At a closer look i discovered that they were not infact Scubapro made but were made by Northern Diver (a UK brand of gear), see here: http://www.ndiver.com/pages/accessories/fins.html click on the picture and you can read a bit about the jet fin too. In addition i have just discovered that IDI also make the Jet fin too. You can see the IDI version here http://www.diveguide.com/idipowerfin.htm

Have any of you tried either of these fins, are they any different , for example do they vary in flexability etc. Looking forward to your views as always. Cheers

Hi Frog,

the IDI fins look like the JetFins and from what I've read
are a virtual copy of the original SPs. Rodale's tested them
and gave them a "thumbs up".

i know some that use "turtle fins" and those also look like
the JetFins. the difference in the turtles is the foot
pocket: it is larger and therefore more easily placed over
large drysuit feet.

no knowledge of the UK brand.

USD has the same set of fins and claims that they are also "for military (Navy) use". The foot pocket and the design of the fins is virtually exactly the same as Scubapro. These are very stiff fins and you must be able to use your upper leg efficiently and effectivelly in order to support the fin design (not to be insulting). IDI was very recently identified (in the last two years) in the U.S. and are based in CA. and they have been in a lot of trouble within the company. I looked at the websites and my concern is the neoprene open foot pockets. That could affect your buoyancy. Although open toe in fins has been proven to prevent foot cramps; at the same time, kicking and using your legs and not your feet has the same effect.

Hope that helps!

I want the jetfins because they are negatively buoyant, indistructable, stiff and they suit spring heel straps down to the ground. KCBdiver, i know they are stiff i was asking if there was any diferences in stiffness between the 3 types of jet fins described in the thread title. I am used to using mares fins and i havnt been diving all that often lately so i aim on using the jetfins in the pool to start with in order to strengthen my legs. Does anyone have any tips on making my legs stronger? I do run every other day but that isnt exactly using the same muscle groups as finning. I think ill stick to the flutter kick in the pool at first. Cheers

I have a set of IDI Power Fins that I put a set of spring straps on for using with my drysuit. The power fins are pretty stiff. It seems to me that they are shorter and not as wide as the Jetfins.

JoelW

Hey Frog,

I don't think you will see any major difference between the different brands - the ND price is good.
I have and use SP's jet fins and also have some USD rocket fines - my buddy uses the Turtle fins - they are all based on the same principle and are vertually identical. the main difference is that Turtle fins tend to have a larger foot pocket and that is important for your drysuit boots.
You will find that XL in SP's is the smallest fins you can use (is for me anyway - European size 43). I doubt that anyone of them is going to be more rigid that the other...

As far as the legs goes... Dive a lot... Uhm - ok, that's a given. I think your running is good - toss in some strength builder like squats and you'll be going the right way...

And don't forget that another reason the DIR people use jet fins is that they are easy to do a lot of modified kick styles with - try to go out and just bend you knees and move the knees up and down - you will be surprised as to how much power that gives you and still does not stir up silt too badly...

Anyway,
Dane

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom