Scubapro Jets; removing stock straps and replacing with spring straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the retaining posts (that go through the rubber holes) are flattened/mushroomed against the bracket, you'll need to use wire cutters and cut through the metal.

If the retaining posts are not mushroomed, you should be able to pry them off of the brackets without permanently damaging them. Either way you'll have to bend the metal brackets a bit.

I used a dremil tool with a cut off wheel to cut the pins off from the buckle.

If you haven't purchased springs yet, Aloha Shore Divers has a great option up on their web site. You can have spring straps for under $5

Aloha Shore Divers

you can usually pop the buckle off the pin with a large pair of cutters. Mine are about 8" long. Put the laws under the buckle & attempt to cut the pin. Helps to have the back of the jaws oriented towards the buckle.

You will not cut the pin, won't even mar it. But the force usually pushes the buckle up off the pin. Quick & easy.

the rubber straps last a year or two and easy one the feet. th springs hurt the back of my ankle. I well stay with th strap.

Skeeter, next time your strap is ready to be tossed, try the bungee cord strap lik in the link I provided above. It has the advantages of the spring and the softer comfort of the strap.

I was able to use pliers on one fin. The other just required a couple strokes with a file over the top of the pin to remove the mushroomed top.

Skeeter, next time your strap is ready to be tossed, try the bungee cord strap lik in the link I provided above. It has the advantages of the spring and the softer comfort of the strap.

I think the concept Skeeter is not understanding is why one would want to substitute all sorts of "farm" technology for a simple rubber strap that works fine, is comfortable, reliable, durable, cheap, easily replaced? The only failure I can recall having with my Jet Fins in recent years is the Halycon spring straps, they broke during a dive, they are not cheap, durable or comfortable. I suppose for drysuit divers the spring strap concept makes some sense.

N

Don,
I just replaced mine as well, it is a bit of a pain, but you can bang out the pin with a nail punch against a brace, and then slide the clip on the new pin and pry up on the clip to slide it over the new pin. I finished by squezzing together with some vise grips to make sure it wouldn't pop off, and they have worked fine for over 20 dives now..so much easier and more comfortable than the strap..hope this helps..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom