Scubapro Master jacket experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh well, contrary to my last post, I decided to buy a conventional one: the Glide 2000.

I think it's not too wise to buy something less conventional while I'm not yet an experienced diver. Just too much potentional hassle on a boat or wherever I'm diving when things are just slightly different than conventional BCD's.

Thank you for your replies.

I have a Glide Plus that I dive as well as my Classic javket, you will like it a lot...

Hi all...

I know this post is a bit older and i've seen that Frarie bought his BCD but i'll tell u some more about the jacket anyway. As it doesn't seem to be used a lot trough the board il scrible down my limited experience with it for future reference !

I just bought the ScubaPro Master Jacket last week after testing it in the pool first.I did my first real dive with it on sunday and my first impression is... great jacket !

Some more about it's features :

One of the great things about the masterjacket are the straps to fix your cilinder. It is a full jacket (air all around) so size has to be considered a bit more than the adjustable ones (although !?). On the other hand because of the straps you can perfectly fix the bottle and it doesn't move an inch ! The idea is that these (elastic !) straps are fixed to the plate that holds the bottle and they are adjustable. So your bottle gets strapped firmly to your back. This way the weight of the bottle is not held by the jacket itself. Inflating or deflating your jacket doesn't have any effect on the fixation of the bottle. This for starters feels very comfortable. My girlfriend is halve my size and even if she puts on my XL jacket the bottle doesn't move the least bit !

quote (diversaurus) :

'Bladders, in some shapes and designs, can cause air to get
trapped as the diver changes positions.'

End quote

As for this, the jacket has 3 extra purge valves so u can let the air escape without any problems in any position. This sounds pretty complicated and i can hear u think 'taskload' but it's actually very practical and gives u good control over the jacket.
The first one is integrated in the inflatorhose. The valve is positioned on your left shoulder and by pulling the inflatorhose down you open this valve. The advantage is that u don't have to hold your inflatorhose up to let the air out.
The second is on your right shoulder and is opened by pulling a sort of knob that is positioned on your chest (right side). I found it very comfortable having one hand on the inflator button and using my other on the right side to deflate. If you need your right hand to hold your light you just use the left side by pulling the inflator hose.
A third valve is positionned on the bottomside (back) of the jacket and is to be used on descend (head first) allowing you to let the air escape without any problems, even in this position.
As i said before it sounds complicated and gives the impression of taskload but i found myself using them comfortably after about 10 minutes and i definatly feel more in cotrol as with a normal jacket.
All this still allows you to use the jacket as a normal one as you can use the inflatorhose to deflate like any normal jacket !

Because the jacket has air allround it is a lot more comfortable in the normal swimming position (face down). The air in the front of the jacket (shoulders) truly gives you the feeling of laying in a comfy couch :)

At first i had a bit of a doubt about the jacket being a bit annoying because it obviously has a bit more volume than the normal ones but i have to say it doesn't limit my freedom of movement the least bit !

The extra volume obviously gives you more lifting capabillities wich can come in handy in case of an emergency (or treasure hunting :) )

Don't forget that the gear u buy and use is allways a personal choice but as far as i'm concerned the Scubapro masterjacket is a winner... Comfort and safety are well considered and i really enjoy using it !

Bart

frarie:
Hi,

Does anyone have experience with Scubapro's Master Jacket? I'm pondering on buying one.

Safety seems to be top-of-the-line, but I wonder about the actual diving experience.

Thanks!

I know this comes late - stumbled across this thread just now. The Master Jacket is one of the oldest ScubaPro designs. It is indeed the only (or one of the only) BC that is also certified as a life jacket.

This being said, I have been diving for the last four years (over 200 dives) with a Master Jacket, bought used. It is an extremely comfortable BC, and the bladder design is such that I have never had any trouble purging it, no matter what the position. There is a shoulder dump (left shoulder) and a rear dump. The bladder fits around a harness that supports the tank. In the old model I have, the harness just straps on like a weight belt. As a kind of historical footnote, there is an alternative inflation valve that you can fit to a pony bottle.

My only beef with the Master Jacket (at least its original version) is that it is very short on places to stuff things away or clip them on. Only a couple of microscopic plastic D-rings, and a smallish pocket. Fortunately, the shoulder straps of the harness have steel rings at the ends. I use those for clipping on my dive light and camera. And of course, if you want integrated weights you should look elsewhere...

Tha Master Jacket still seems to be a favorite amoung instructors, at least in these parts, because it is so comfortable. I recently ran across an instructor in Bonaire who was bemoaning the demise of his own Master Jacket after almost 10 years of loyal service.

HTH

Victor J.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom