Scubapro Mk2+ Allen key size? Metric?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjs

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am struggling to get one of these appart, from the high pressure end - the filter comes out fine then I have a problem with removing the DIN fitting.

I am not sure if a 6mm allen key is ideal as it seems slightly slack.

I have already exerted excessive force on the reg, frozen it, had it in ultrasonic cleaning tank for a day with detergent and vinegar.

My next step is going to be to use WD40 on it, which I am far from happy about but it has reached that point.

Can kind soul please confirm the ideal size of allen key for removing the DIN thread?

Any other advice appreciated!

Cheers,

J

DIN connectors are normally 6mm.

That connector should be torqued to 266in-lb or 30Nm, not that much. It is probably held on with a bit of Loctite. I would 1) leave it in as the captive oring #28 probably does not need to be replaced 2) failing that heat the unit to the melting point of 242 loctite (190C) with a propane torch and then unscrew it.

Good luck,
Peter Doege

They should not have used loctite on an SP DIN fitting, but it's possible some ignorant tech had a brain fart. More likely it was over torqued or has some corrosion occurring in the threads - both can make them very difficult to remove.

It does require a 6mm allen wrench and it should have been torqued to only 266 in pounds.

It sounds liked you have soaked it and ultra sounded it. About all I can suggest is heating the reg body with very hot water and then seeing if it will come loose.

I'd be very hesitant to use any additional heat on it.

If possible put it in a padded vice, choke up on the allen wrench as close as possible to the inlet fitting with a 6mm box end wrench or large cresent wrench and then tap lightly (to maybe not so lightly) on the end of the wrench with a hammer while maintaining constant pressure on the wrench. The pressure and shock may help break the fitting loose. Just be careful not to strip the fitting or break anything. Start small and proceed with caution.

This is actually a great job for your local SP dealer as if it is under warranty and they break it, they will replace what they break free of charge.

WD 40 probably is probably the lesser of two evils at this point if it still will not come loose. You will want to replace any o-rings that come in contact with it (ie remove all of them you can first) and then you will need to thoroughly clean and degrease the reg before reassembling it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom