Scubapro MK25 rebuild/service "squeeking"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably a lubrication issue...not enough.

Thanks for everyones input. I'll take this and the reg back to Ray and find out which of these are the cause. Additionally, I'm going to invest some time and $ to learn to service my own regs. If for no other reason, it makes sense to me that I would want to be able to understand their operation better and to insure that future service is performed by a very careful and caring individual - ME!

jhelmuth:
Additionally, I'm going to invest some time and $ to learn to service my own regs. If for no other reason, it makes sense to me that I would want to be able to understand their operation better and to insure that future service is performed by a very careful and caring individual - ME!

Sure that SOUNDS like a good idea but it can get out of hand. You learn to do your own regs, then you find you like it, so you buy a few tools and some reference books to do it easier and better. Then you end up liking it a whole lot and get addicted, so you start buying regs off e-bay just to have a crappy reg to whip into shape, and you buy lots MORE tools and some test equipment and before you know it your house looks like a dive shop and you are providing consultation services to the local dive shop owner on how to service HIS problem regs. And the LDS owner, who knows a good thing when he sees it, sends you to tech seminars and you find yourself working on other people's regs on evenings and weekends.

The upside is it makes a nice part time job with decent pay as part time jobs go and as an employee, I get most stuff at cost. So of course being an avid diver, I never get a pay check, he just puts it on account.

This could be sort of like giving a future alcoholic their first drink, but a good book to start with is Peter Wolfinger's Scuba Savvy. He worked for Scubapro as a tech guru for about 20 years and wrote all their service manuals. He also owns Peter-Built Tools and if you get interested in working on regs, you will spend a lot of money there. The book is a very good primer for working on both piston and diaphragm regs and it discusses the logic behind what is done and why and also goes into detail on evaluating and testing regs. The books is packed full of excellent illustrations.

http://www.scubatools.com/RegSavvy.html

It's a little pricey at $50.00 but worth the money.

And to be honest, a lot of techs around have very little mechanical ability and are seriously lacking in their understanding the theory of how things work. Some can be down right scary and I started doing my own regs after having a few bad experiences.

At a minimum, it really helps to understand your reg and to know enough to recognize when the tech working on your reg doesn't. There are good techs around though, so if you happen to find one, keep 'em.

What was finally the cause of the noise? I have a MK25 regulator that whistle every time I breath. It happended just after a service.
Thanks.
patrick.

The HP O-ring was not adequately lubricated. Ray was out with me on a trip to Cayman Brac and I had him listen to it first hand. He took care of it - no charge (as I would have expected). He also flipped the spring - he say's that sometimes can be a problem. Seems DA was right - as usual...

Hi everyone,

I've just took delivery of a pair of brand new Halcyon H-75P a.k.a. ScubaPro MK25, for my doubles, and one of them makes the noise described here. I was told that's not an issue but a normal behaviour of MK25s.... is it really "normal".

When you guys sais it could be th HP o-ring.... do you mean the HP hose to the SGP o-ring?

No, they mean the hp o-ring inside the first stage. The first stage needs to be disassembled to lube it.

No, they mean the hp o-ring inside the first stage. The first stage needs to be disassembled to lube it.

Need to use the proper assembly tool to prevent nicking it when reassembling. The other potential cause of this is someone put the wrong O-ring on the Piston stem, I have encountered that. Someone put a soft 70 shore O-ring on one that I had serviced. Not to mention they turn the backing bushing with the mold marks the wrong way.

The point is that my brand new Halcyon H-75P are brand new and one of then is squeaking since day 1.... since I've unboxed them (few weeks ago), so no servicing involved.... is that nornal? from factory?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom