SCUBAPro + Seabear, what are your thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

digdug87

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I heard that SCUBAPro bought out Seabear. Any thoughts on what we might see come out of this?

SP's computer line could use a little TLC. I just hope they don't cock up the seabear units, which are actually good.

ScubaPro's Dive computers definitely needed some new life. However in acquiring Sea Bear their first order of business was to reassign the SeaBear T1 to only rebreathers. Therefore eliminating it from competing with the Galileos and Aladin Square. The H3 is an alternative to their wrist/eatch sized dive computers but is in a higher price range so it really isn't competing with them.

I guess it will be some time before a version using SeaBear technology comes out.

The new Scubapro Mantis M2 looks interesting to me as it will have air integration, body temperature, heart rate and a compass...

Not sure of the price.

SCUBAPRO - M2

The new Scubapro Mantis M2 looks interesting to me as it will have air integration, body temperature, heart rate and a compass...

I wonder what the depth rating on the heart monitor belt is.

Scubapro has been in the doldrums for about 10 years now on their computers, and acquiring Seabear can hurt.

Unfortunately I have a suspicion Scuabpro will take this opportunity to really screw up the Seabear offerings, rather than use them to replace their not so inspiring Uwatec line, particularly for tech computers.

Scubapro has a very single minded corporate personality. It is after all a company that still prides itself on being a "piston regulator company" despite the fact that they build what is arguably the best diaphragm first stage on the planet - and one that works far better than the Mk 25 for technical diving. I suspect that same stuck in the past attitude will infect their views on what makes a good technical diving computer as well and they'll fail to monopolize on computers like the T1.

Scubapro has been in the doldrums for about 10 years now on their computers, and acquiring Seabear can hurt.

The last classic shape DC form Scubapro (Aladin Prime) seems born from another era. As its name suggest, from the technology POV, it's really like an old Aladin Pro. Probably they found an old project buried in a drawer.
With Uwatec, until 2000 they had probably the best DC in the world but nothing has changed since that. Galileo & co. are nice gadgets but they failed to innovate like their competitor.
IMHO their Seabear acquisition seems like an acknowledgment that Uwatec division can't keeps with competitors so they need new technology ready to use.
Of course they will pay attention to not hurt their existing DC line...

Huh, I don't think I knew about seabear until this post. Looks like they make some nice stuff with the exception of that oddball wheel thing. Scubapro desperately needs some color oled displays and another data interface now that irda is defunct.

Galileo has been bleeding features for some time now. You used to be able to upload dive logs, and buy a software upgrade for trimix support. You can't do either with a modern Galileo. I miss uploading and reading dive logs.

---------- Post added November 30th, 2015 at 12:15 PM ----------

That HUDC looks cool. Does anyone know where to buy a HUDC (or how much they go for)? Google is failing me.

I tried a T1 and have to say that, while the wheel seems odd when you see a photo of it, in reality it was probably the best, most intuitive dive computer interface I have ever used. Way beyond awkward two button presses, etc. It is a shame that Sea Bear is using the T1 guts to power rebreathers but not still offering the standalone computer. I would hope that Scubapro would revive the T1 and add AI (the T1 has the hardware to accept a transmitter according to prior literature on it).

Back
Top Bottom