Scubapro service in denver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ce4jesus

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been going to the dive shop at I25 and Arapahoe for about 3 years. It seems like every time I get my gear back it takes about 10-15 dives for something to go wrong. Mostly the Scubapro G550/MK20 regs. Had mine serviced in June. When I went out last weekend in Florida it started to free flow a little. I simply adjusted it underwater and all was well. I try and take really good care of my stuff and rinse it after every dive. Am I expecting too much? I've been on 3 separate trips since it was last serviced. If this were a one-time occasion, I'd be fine but this is the 3rd time I've had it serviced by the shop and the 3rd time it failed to last a year. Any thoughts?

We go to A-1 for service. On one of my last trips the rubber around my inflate button cracked and they replaced it. I did a pool class for photography and noticed that it was leaking so they checked it out again and I've been fine since. Do you think it's their servicing of it or the actual product? I don't have any scubapro equipment so I can't comment on that.

The first Scubapro tech clinic I ever attended was in Denver and a coupel of the techs I saw there form one shop in particular were pretty scary in temrs of their total lack of mechanical aptitude and limited spatial/perceptual skills. I will not mention names, but the quality of service does vary greatly by shop - especially in regard to their entry level techs and the supervision and QA they may receive until they get up to speed.

I am curious though if you had a Mk 20 G250 or a Mk 20 S550? I suspect the former as the latter is not readily adjustable underwater. In the case of the G250 a minor freeflow with the knob all the way out is, if not normal, at least acceptable as it ensures that an absolute minium inhalation effort is possible and is easily eliminated with the adjustment knob.

On any non-adjustable second stage like the S550 it is not uncommon for a tech to underestimate the seating groove that develops in the reg a few weeks or a few dives after it is serviced. If this occurs a slight freeflow will result that in turn requires a very small orifice adjustment after the seat breaks in.

This is often the result of the tech wanting to provide you with a reg that offers peak performance where they have to walk the fine line between max performance and freeflow and then adjust the orifice slightly farther in to anticipate the break in effects. If you want to avoid any potential of having to have the reg adjusted a few weeks after service, just ask the tech to set the inhalation effort to at least 1.2" to 1.4" of water as this will ensure there is ample excess of seat to orifice contact in any Scuabpro balanced second stage.

Flatirons Scuba in Broomfield is a ScubaPro dealer and do their own service for ScubaPro regs. I've had consistently good luck there, and when considering on an annual basis they service my single tank rig, doubles rig and 3 stage/deco rigs I have acquired a fair amount of experience with their service.

Scuba Colorado Denver Broomfield Scuba Pro Classes Trips

I think Denver Divers in Cherry Creek North is also a SP dealer.

I am curious though if you had a Mk 20 G250 or a Mk 20 S550? I suspect the former as the latter is not readily adjustable underwater. In the case of the G250 a minor freeflow with the knob all the way out is, if not normal, at least acceptable as it ensures that an absolute minium inhalation effort is possible and is easily eliminated with the adjustment knob.

G500 2nd stage. Fully adjustable. My wife and I have the same setup and get them serviced annually at this shop. We've had issues with both setups over the last year. She originally had a mares setup and it completely went out (thankfully on the surface, 2nd trip after the annual). I now have to get her Diva BCD serviced because of the inflator. I also have a trip coming up and was thinking of getting the reg serviced again before the trip but my trust in the shop is pretty low.

what's wrong with her inflator? I have the same BCD and the rubber cracked around the inflate valve. Other than that I've liked mine and haven't had any other problems with the Diva. A-1 is off Santa Fe by Red & Jerry's, not so close to I-25 but they seem to have people who know what their doing.

My G500 & Mk20 don't get a lot of use any more and easily go 5 years between servicing. A slight freeflow from your G500 that can be controlled with a half turn of the knob insures you are getting peak performance. It is quite easy for the tech to detune it a little to avoid that but you will unnecessarily lose a little performance. That LP seat takes very little engraving due to the seat saver design which relieves all pressure on the seat when not in service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom