Scubapro Titanium Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dnhill

Contributor
Reaction score
Is there any good reason other than weight to pay extra money to ge a titanium regulator? I have been looking for another regulator and I have had great results with my scubapro for the past 10 years. The last trip to Mexico that I was on a gentleman had a problem with his regulator and was forced to cancel a couple of dives on one day. This got me thinking that it would not be that difficult to take a spare reg with me. So now I am lookoing at the new regs.... Thanks

dnhill

dnhill:
Is there any good reason other than weight to pay extra money to ge a titanium regulator? I have been looking for another regulator and I have had great results with my scubapro for the past 10 years. The last trip to Mexico that I was on a gentleman had a problem with his regulator and was forced to cancel a couple of dives on one day. This got me thinking that it would not be that difficult to take a spare reg with me. So now I am lookoing at the new regs.... Thanks

dnhill

Personal preference I guess, I could think of some other items I would spend the extra money on...

I do like the SCUBAPRO's in general though...

Jeff Lane

I think that you can't use titanium regs on Nitrox. I would always go with the tried and true brass regs. Just my preference.

I think the titanium regs(oceanic, scubapro, or atomics) are 40% nitrox tolerant, also i heard that they last like forever, which means if u buy one u dont ever have to worry about buying another reg ever again.

DementialFaith:
I think the titanium regs(oceanic, scubapro, or atomics) are 40% nitrox tolerant, also i heard that they last like forever, which means if u buy one u dont ever have to worry about buying another reg ever again.

Come now, I have some thirty year old brass regulators that are used for issue / training regs that are still in great shape.

Design modifications / salesmanship will make people think a regulator is obsolete prior to any material failure...

First, they offer no performance improvements over brass.
Secondly, the weight difference that you gain goes right back on your weight belt or elsewhere.
Thirdly, the issue of problems with EANx in excess of 40% are well documented.

Summary: A solution to a non-existant problem.

As far as "never buying another reg". Do you really believe that an individual with enough cash to buy a titanium reg is going to use the same piece of gear for more than a decade or so?

Titanium is an excellent material for various uses. As far as diving goes...titanium knives are great. It just isn't necessary for regs.

SP Titanium regs are not approved for Nitrox use nor are the ultralight aluminum first stages.

Scubapro does have a new MK 25 STA made from aluminum with stainless steel in strategic locations. It combines the light weight of the ultralight with improved durability and nitrox compatibility. It would be the way to go if you want a lightweight reg.

That said, I am a die hard chrome plated brass fan and see no need to save a pound or so on a lighter weight first stage.

What Barlow said ^^.

Titanium regulators are a tax on the gullible. A solution to a non-existant problem, and a way of getting rich dumb people to pay more money to their LDS.

Now - someone ask me what I REALLY think... :)

dnhill:

dnhill

There are no good reasons to buy titanium regulators but there are good reasons *not* to buy them. I think DA Aquamaster has it right. Titanium will literally catch fire when exposed to high concentrations of O2 at high pressures. Even recreational Nitrox mixes have enough O2 in them to cause a problem. I seem to remember reading somewhere that in a lab they managed to get titanium to burst into flame with 30-odd percent O2 at pressures well within scuba parameters using some kind of catalyst like dust or oil or something. I also remember a case of someone using an Atomics titanium reg getting badly burned when he attached it to a deco bottle of pure O2. he turned it on and his reg burst into flame and melted (so I heard) part of the wetsuit he was wearing. For that reason I think that putting titanium into a regulator is crazy and buying one with titanium in it even even crazier.

Titanium on the outside of the regulator, on the other hand, looks cool. :)

R..

I called Scubapro tech support and they said that the titanium regulator is good for nitrox mixes up to 40% out of the box at pressures up to 3300psi. From all of the information on this thread, it sounds like titanium is not worth the extra cost.
dnhill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom