Scubapro UL: INT to DIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jale

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi
I was lucky enough to get a secondhand MK18 UL.
The UL label is not a marketing gimmick; it is really Ultra Light :)
It is clean outside and seems fine inside as the IP is stable.
The problem, for me, is that it is not in DIN and I would like to change that.
I had already changed regs from INT to DIN but I was wondering if the UL has a specific UL DIN part.
Thanks for your answers :)

Congrats for your find!
The Mk18 UL is one of the very few SP firsts I still don't have.
Yes, there are two DIN Connector components, which were especially for the UL Series, that was the Retainer Knob (10715121) and the Filter Retainer (10715122).
Both were made of Aluminum, making the Mk20/18 a bit lighter.
Problem was that the components were pretty easy to damage and especially seawater, which had not been extremely carefully rinsed off, attacked the aluminum and made the reg quite ugly.
You always have to take care a lot, if not, it is easy to end up with an unusable reg.
I have one MK20 with that Alu Din Connector, which after two long sessions I still was not able to remove that DIN Retainer Knob, it is stucked badly and Alu is much softer than my Alan key.........

Attachments

• P1180084.JPG
    P1180084.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 42
  • P1180085.JPG
    P1180085.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 42
Happy, the Retainer Knob in the MK20 UL.........!
The one you see on the pics but another MK20 UL ( the one on the pics belongs to the reg of my parole officer just to show it!).....!

Congrats for your find!
The Mk18 UL is one of the very few SP firsts I still don't have.
Yes, there are two DIN Connector components, which were especially for the UL Series, that was the Retainer Knob (10715121) and the Filter Retainer (10715122).
Both were made of Aluminum, making the Mk20/18 a bit lighter.
Problem was that the components were pretty easy to damage and especially seawater, which had not been extremely carefully rinsed off, attacked the aluminum and made the reg quite ugly.
You always have to take care a lot, if not, it is easy to end up with an unusable reg.
I have one MK20 with that Alu Din Connector, which after two long sessions I still was not able to remove that DIN Retainer Knob, it is stucked badly and Alu is much softer than my Alan key.........
Hi Axxel
Thanks a lot for all these details. I appreciate that.
So I might use a normal connector then.

Dude can you see my allen keys on a half inch ratchet

View attachment 786143
Happy, thanks for the hint, I have lots of tools, even more special tools, and of course I use an Allenkey and ratchet like everybody, but you might know what happens when steel meets brass and the retainer is badly stuck.
Now imagine that retainer in aluminum and you might get the picture. Tried already with heat and the freezer, no luck. Probably have to leave it for some days in some DW40, we'll see......

Congrats on your MK18 UL find. I had one for a couple of years, and unless I was taking it on an airplane, I didn't see any advantage to a brass 1st stage.
One thing to really keep an eye out for is corrosion around the lp and hp ports. The dissimilar metals will weld a port plug in no time. I would remove and inspect all the hoses and plugs every couple of months. Even after only fresh water use, there would be some corrosion, causing me to tear it down, run it thru an ultrasonic cleaner, and rebuild it. After a couple of seasons, I went back to trusty brass.

Congrats on your MK18 UL find. I had one for a couple of years, and unless I was taking it on an airplane, I didn't see any advantage to a brass 1st stage.
One thing to really keep an eye out for is corrosion around the lp and hp ports. The dissimilar metals will weld a port plug in no time. I would remove and inspect all the hoses and plugs every couple of months. Even after only fresh water use, there would be some corrosion, causing me to tear it down, run it thru an ultrasonic cleaner, and rebuild it. After a couple of seasons, I went back to trusty brass.
Hi
Thanks for your answer and advice.
I checked the plugs and they also are all UL ... with an extra plastic "o-ring".
Yes I understand that the brass models are easier but I am still taken aback by the lightness of this reg :)
Are the titanium regs that light?!

20230603_170835.jpg

20230603_170853.jpg

I like my Mk20s UL for traveling, but they are very delicate.
The plastic washers are especially useful if you use chromes brass plugs to prevent direct contact with the MK18/20 UL body.
Like the galvanic reaction of chromed brass tank valves with aluminum tank threads, which can 'eat' the alu threads if you don't use the proper lube, so will quite probably also a brass DIN retainer damage the threads of your MK18 UL body, if you don't use the Dow 111 or Molykote 111 lube on your retainer threads.
For my MK20 UL threads I use only Molykote 111 lube.
Could you send a pic of your MK18 UL, please?

Back
Top Bottom