Scubapro DIN conversion kits: 200 vs 300

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's not entirely correct. If you place the 200bar and 300bar adaptors side by side, you will see that in the 300 bar one the end part, carrying the O-ring, is approximately 2mm longer, so the threaded part starts at greater distance form the O-ring.
View attachment 557225 200bar left, 300bar right

When fitting a 200bar DIN valve, a 300bar adaptor will screw on for 2 complete turns, instead a 200bar one screws for 5 complete turns.
According to DIN standard this is accepted and is still fully safe. But it is not "equally safe", it simply means that, being the pressure just 200 bar, those 2 turns threads are enough. But of course 5 turns is better!

Those are not SP DIN fittings, in fact they look more like fill whip ends to me. If you compare the actual SP 300 bar and 200 bar fittings, you'll see what I mean. The 300 bar fittings have more threads.

Those are not SP DIN fittings, in fact they look more like fill whip ends to me. If you compare the actual SP 300 bar and 200 bar fittings, you'll see what I mean. The 300 bar fittings have more threads.
I posted a picture upthread.

To the best of my knowledge, the Calypso Classic (yoke) has passed the cold water EN250 testing going back several years or longer. In the US, only the QC (quick connect) version was available for a few years, and that model is NOT suitable for cold water. Less metal and more plastic on the 2nd stage connections/fittings...

I think I noticed the cold water verbiage (in small print) in the dealer catalog after they dropped the QC, but I suspect it was also true before that for the Classic. I just never thought to save older catalogs to look up stuff like this. I don't know what need the QC was meant to fill, and I am glad it is gone. One odd note though - it looks like it is designed to be able to reverse it from right handed to left handed like most Apeks. I just haven't seen that in print, and haven't had any reason to try it. If not, then it looks like they started down that path but then gave up.

But they have made slight changes inside the 2004 style 1st stage, so perhaps one of those did contribute to the cold water certification. From what I can tell, in 2010 the removable crown was discontinued and the crown is now machined into the body. In 2017 the yoke retainer was changed to add a pre-filter. Yoke dust cap changed at that time too.

On a side note, I don't know if it one available for the 232 DIN fitting, but an ACD conversion kit is available for the Calypso yoke. I know that makes your day.

That all makes sense, especially since I made the mistake of buying one of those QC models for my wife a few years ago.

The hose routing on the QC model can be "easily" swapped to either side.

The QC is still available here in Europe, at least through the 2019-2020 model year.

I had a conversation with the LDS owner about this model and was told that it still available and popular with clubs and dive schools, especially in France where laws require the organizations to disinfect the 2nd stages between use by different people...the QC fitting allows the 2nd stages to be quickly removed and another set installed between DSDs and or class sessions.

The QC model, form my understanding, was originally designed for the rental/resort market so the 2nd stages could be easily swapped out without tools if there was a problem.

We have a QC to standard hose adapter that lives in the save-a-dive kit....they are about half the price retail here in Belgium than they are in the US (24 Euros at LDS vs $50+ as priced on Amazon.com).

The 2nd Calypso I purchased was for the pony bottle I routinely carry. I made sure to purchase the standard version with a normal hose connection on the 2nd stage.

I think I purchase my wife's reg set (1st stage, 2nd stage, octo) for 145 euros...it was a good deal despite the QC 2nd stages but if I could go back in time I would ask for normal 2nd stages.

-Z

That all makes sense, especially since I made the mistake of buying one of those QC models for my wife a few years ago.

The hose routing on the QC model can be "easily" swapped to either side.

The QC is still available here in Europe, at least through the 2019-2020 model year.

I had a conversation with the LDS owner about this model and was told that it still available and popular with clubs and dive schools, especially in France where laws require the organizations to disinfect the 2nd stages between use by different people...the QC fitting allows the 2nd stages to be quickly removed and another set installed between DSDs and or class sessions.

The QC model, form my understanding, was originally designed for the rental/resort market so the 2nd stages could be easily swapped out without tools if there was a problem.

We have a QC to standard hose adapter that lives in the save-a-dive kit....they are about half the price retail here in Belgium than they are in the US (24 Euros at LDS vs $50+ as priced on Amazon.com).

The 2nd Calypso I purchased was for the pony bottle I routinely carry. I made sure to purchase the standard version with a normal hose connection on the 2nd stage.

I think I purchase my wife's reg set (1st stage, 2nd stage, octo) for 145 euros...it was a good deal despite the QC 2nd stages but if I could go back in time I would ask for normal 2nd stages.

-Z
I figured the QC might be advantageous for rental, but didn't know about the disinfection requirement. That may have been the deciding factor on producing the thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom