Scubapro Which BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ch002kr

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a new diver and looking at a Scubapro Knight Hawk or a Glide Pro.
One has air in the back the Glide Pro has air on the sides. For a new diver which one is better. On the surface which one will be easier to swim in while waiting for the boat to pick you up?

A Florida Diver

glide pro will keep u up higher in the water. great if there are large swells and you want to keep you head up high while swimming to the boat. otherwise a knight hawk in clamer waters should give u better fit and divability. but if you are spendingthat much. like alot of other people on the board, it is worth trying a back plate set up. maybe try renting a set and see how that feels compared to a normal jacket bcd.

I dive the Knighthawk, and I'm very happy with it. I like the back inflate, and haven't had any problems on the surface. That being said, I did just try on a Seahawk at Beneath the Sea yesterday, and I liked the fit more than my Knighthawk. It felt slimmer and more streamlined, and the pockets were a decent size without felling like they'd be in the way. If your shop has both, I'd try them on and see how they feel on you (even better, if you can try to dive all your options, that would really help you find out what you like.

-Colin

I have a Glide Pro and love it.
I have lost weight and I'm trying to figure out my replacement(do you need a XXL?). Keep us posted as you investigate back inflate vs jacket. I am going to listen to the outspoke ones on the board and try a BP&W before I make any decisions.

I really like the Knighthawk. Several buddies are into BPW, but I have tried both and think this is perfect. No complaints with over 200 dives on my current one. I prefer it over Zeagle and Mares.

KnightHawk!!!!

I have a Glide Pro and love it.
I have lost weight and I'm trying to figure out my replacement(do you need a XXL?). Keep us posted as you investigate back inflate vs jacket. I am going to listen to the outspoke ones on the board and try a BP&W before I make any decisions.

Once you go Backplate and wing, you will not look back. I learned that 3bc ago. Stupid me.:shakehead:

I am a confirmed backplate and wing user and it is a hold over from my very first "BC" 25 years ago, a Scubapro Buoyancy Control Pack - which was in effect a precursor of the first backplate and wing designs. BP/wings are very stable in the water, are modular, pack in a low volume of space and are very adaptable to any type of diving you will ever do.

That said, I saw a Scubapro Light Hawk this weekend. It uses a simple plastic back plate/cam band that is ergonomically designed along with a back inflate wing integrated with a simple and adjustable Transpac'esque harness. It is also very light and compact to pack. The price is also great at not much over $300 - about half the cost of most other SP BC's. If I were just starting out in diving and was not sure what direction to go, it would make a great choice for a first BC.

I dive the scubapro glide plus. I love it. I especially like that on the surface I don't feel pitched forward like I did when I tried the B/P. I know that backplate proponents always minimize the effect but it is there. I like the weight integration system, spare air, big pockets and multiple c rings. The one disadvantage is weight and bulk. On a trip to the red sea I was allowed 46 lbs for one bag and 16 for the carryon. I had to leave the split fins home as they weighed an extra 2.4 lbs and I was counting ounces. Nonetheless I was able to fit it all in within the guidelines. Whenever I travel in one of those small planes with extreme weight restrictions I contemplate one of the lightweight rigs but I've been able to make it work with what I have.

I am a ScubaPro dealer and as most people on the board my number 1 choice is neither and go with BP&W!

If I am keeping to the thread then my vote is the Knighthawk. Less bulk, more streamlined, more comfortable at the surface. Since you mentioned the Knighthawk, I would also look at the new Litehawk. if you can, try to set up a "test dive" before you buy.

Back
Top Bottom