SD 750 v G9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nubiesan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am in the market for a new camera, as you can no doubt tell from my posts.

I have not seen any comments on the SD 750, or anything in the SD family. What are the advantages of one over the other?

Last month I just got my new Canon Powershot SD750 at a deal price of $168, I've had it for several days and have taken over 3 hundred pictures and tons of video. very satisfied with this product. The most popular feature has to be the 3" LCD screen. It's ginormous. But in order to get that big of a screen on such a compact camera, Canon forgoes the optical viewfinder.
The only negative comment I have is that the battery has to be removed from the camera each time it needs to be recharged.

I don't know if you are still in the market for a camera or not but I currently have an SD800 IS and a G7. If you are planning on using the camera primarily for diving, the manual controls on the G9 will be great and the larger size of the camera is not as noticable. The smaller SD series cameras have fewer manual controls and are alot smaller. In an underwater housing, the size difference is not that significant though and I think I would give the edge to the G9.

The extra zoom on the G9 will not do much for you underwater but it can be handy on the surface.

If the camera is going to be used both above and below the water, you should really get a feel for the cameras as the G9 is in my opinion too large to put in a pocket and the SD series cameras fit easily.

Also, for diving the SD750 may not be the best choice for a SD series lens. Several of the other SD cameras have wider lenses which would be nice underwater.

Take a look at DPReview (Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ) for tons of information regarding camera reviews and general photography information.

Back
Top Bottom