SDI here I come!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The_DivePirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, last year I got my SDI DM cert. In March I will be starting my instructor IDC, and by April should be a full fledge instructor. Hopefully all will go well and this will be just as painless as the DM course was.:rofl3: I'll let you all know how it goes. Wish me luck.
Joe

I'm looking for ideas to market my SDI classes -- what made you pick SDI for DM & Instructor?

I believe in the theory of using the computer instead of the tables. Less chance of computer malfunction than a new student making a mistake on repetative dives on a table. Also, I've been involved in both agencies training, and feel more comfortable with the SDI format. Also, with SDI/TDI you can stick with one agency all the way through from Open water>Hypoxic Trimix. I'm very happy with the choice I've made and hopefully it will pay off.
Joe

Thanks Rob,
I'll do my best!! The swims are the things I've really got too work on. I've got a two week lay off since I had lasik on valentines day, but after that I'll be back at it!!!! Thanks again for the support, and I'll be working my hardest on making the swims in a respectable pace.

Joe

I believe in the theory of using the computer instead of the tables. Less chance of computer malfunction than a new student making a mistake on repetative dives on a table. Also, I've been involved in both agencies training, and feel more comfortable with the SDI format. Also, with SDI/TDI you can stick with one agency all the way through from Open water>Hypoxic Trimix. I'm very happy with the choice I've made and hopefully it will pay off.

Hey Joe,

I'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise. I'm glad you're happy, and am trying to figure out what sort of niche market I may be able to create over here. One thing's for sure -- SDI's inter-agency referral is much easier to market than PADI's!

As for the computers, that's something I consider as a backup option for students that just can't get the tables, but are otherwise great divers. There's nothing saying a PADI diver *has* to use the tables when they finish their cert class -- but they must master them for the course.

The thing is -- with an SDI cert, that diver is NOT QUALIFIED to dive WITHOUT a computer.

What does this mean? It means that if I'm divemastering on a boat and someone shows up with an SDI card but no computer and we don't have one to rent (or they refuse), THEY'RE NOT DIVING as a certified diver -- they'll get the introductory diver process, if it's available.

Having spoken with a few OW divers certified through SDI, this point was not emphasized enough, but is pretty obvious in the SDI training standards.

I hold an SDI instructor cert as well, having done a crossover (just means paperwork and $300), so as far as teaching the TDI programs, that isn't an issue if I ever choose to go down that path. Unfortunately, the crossover to other agencies isn't that straightforward, with nearly all of them requiring an IDC/IE or equivalent.

The thing is -- with an SDI cert, that diver is NOT QUALIFIED to dive WITHOUT a computer.

What does this mean? It means that if I'm divemastering on a boat and someone shows up with an SDI card but no computer and we don't have one to rent (or they refuse), THEY'RE NOT DIVING as a certified diver -- they'll get the introductory diver process, if it's available.

Having spoken with a few OW divers certified through SDI, this point was not emphasized enough, but is pretty obvious in the SDI training standards.

Hey Kris,
Since you are in the stance of NO diving for SDI divers without a computer. What would your recomendation be for dealing with that circumstance from a training standpoint? I will be talking with the NW TDI/SDI rep within the next few weeks, maybe you have some suggestions that may make a difference. Diving is supposed too be fun, and not allowing a new diver too dive may just turn off a new diver too the whole experience of diving. Maybe instead of not allowing a diver or two too dive, you could instill in them that learning the tables would be benificial too them and take them under your wing and give them a quick once over on the tables and tell them that for a nominal fee you could teach them the ins and outs of table diving. Heck, who knows, maybe it would constitute a nice tip? And if not, we BOTH know it should have and if nothing else would probably get good word of mouth for your outfit.

Joe

Since you are in the stance of NO diving for SDI divers without a computer.

It's not just me. It's the SDI agency. Check your instructor manual on this -- I do recall reading it that in order for an SDI diver to be qualified to dive, they must be diving with a computer.

What would your recomendation be for dealing with that circumstance from a training standpoint?

There are only two ways I can think of -- either require table mastery, or deal with this restriction. SDI looks at this as a "pro" on their side of the "pro/con" columns. It means more equipment sales, more equipment rentals and less work trying to teach tables.

I will be talking with the NW TDI/SDI rep within the next few weeks, maybe you have some suggestions that may make a difference.

I believe that SDI has made this a selling feature of their program, and as such will not be in a position to change it, unless most of the industry recognizes that these divers have no idea what they're doing without a computer on their wrist / console.

Diving is supposed too be fun, and not allowing a new diver too dive may just turn off a new diver too the whole experience of diving. Maybe instead of not allowing a diver or two too dive, you could instill in them that learning the tables would be benificial too them and take them under your wing and give them a quick once over on the tables and tell them that for a nominal fee you could teach them the ins and outs of table diving.

I could... but the liability on that one is huge. If they ran into problems, or later chose to blame me for a future incident, I'd have no paperwork to go back on to say "they proved mastery of the table" -- unless I was to have the PADI final exam on hand to have them work through those problems, complete with the usual medical and liability releases.

Perhaps a supplemental SDI "Table Diver" specialty would be in order?

Heck, who knows, maybe it would constitute a nice tip? And if not, we BOTH know it should have and if nothing else would probably get good word of mouth for your outfit.

The thing is that, while that is all great, they're essentially at the equivalent of the PADI Scuba Diver when they don't have a computer. (PADI Scuba Divers don't need to learn the tables, but must dive with a DM or Instructor and are depth-limited to 40').

So, yes, I could take them diving, if there was a spare DM/instructor that would stick to 40' or shallower with them... but that isn't likely to find approval either, when the other certified divers are headed to 80' to see the Hawaiian Garden Eels at Molokini (no, they're not found shallower than 60-80') or the shark ledges...

At that point, there are only two ways of getting them up to speed (staying within standards) on tables: PADI Enriched Air Diver or the PADI Multilevel Diver (includes training on the Wheel format of the RDP table). Note: neither of these are SDI programs.

Thanks Kris,
I will definately heed those words of wisdom. I will also read up on the ins and outs of the standards and proceedures. Hope things are well for you and yours. Thanks again for the awakening.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom