SDI here I come!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, the written exam is done (95%) and the swim tests are complete.(both passed)
The scuba ditch and don was a peice of cake, while the snorkle ditch and don was not so fun. Tomorrow is 2 class presentations, 2 confined presentations, and 2 ow presentations, all of which are not a real problem considering I" never had a real public speaking issue. My IEC is tomorrow afternoon and Friday, hope things go well and things run smoothly. I'll let you all know. Headed to bed for some rest.
Joe

Well, it's official, I have just become an official SDI instructor!! :wink: Not without some slight humiliation brought upon myself. This was a very humbling experience too say the least. Even though I have a descent understanding of SCUBA and the physics/physiology involved, it is not as easy too relay them to new students in a way as not too intimidate or confuse them. :no During my IEC, my instructor had left his air off and his drysuit hose disconnected. During my predive briefing I had asked the students to make sure and perform the ABC's in a buddy check, but did not recheck them myself. (**Hint**, NEVER assume anything during an IEC.:no) I figured that with the buddy check asked for that this would have covered that issue, but hey, sometimes students get distracted and not do not handle certain duties that a good buddy will or should handle. I caught the drysuit inflator hose, which should have been my first clue that a proper buddy check had not been conducted.:lotsalove: But hey, I clearly was not thinking clearly, and nerves were high!!:dork2: Never forget your DM skills and always perform those duties as well as your instructor role. Remember that even though you have a DM, YOU are ultimately responsible for those students well being! Even after all that, I pulled out 4's, and became an SDI instructor. Now the plan is catch back up on all the sleep the body was deprived of during those stressful/sleepless nights awaiting the final day of the course. So, if any of you are considering the step of becoming an instructor, NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING!!!!!!
Also, these instructors have there tricks that they rely on too trip up new instructor trainees, so, just up those DM skills, and never rely on anyone but yourself.

Joe

Congratulations Joe, I am sure you will be a great instructor:D

So, if any of you are considering the step of becoming an instructor, NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING!!!!!!
Also, these instructors have there tricks that they rely on too trip up new instructor trainees, so, just up those DM skills, and never rely on anyone but yourself.
I was on the checkout last November on which my shop did the final workout on three new instructors. It was eye-opening, to say the least. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom