SDI Instructor Crossover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toddthecat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
The SDI site has extremely limited information about the online instructor crossover. More importantly, what portions and how much of the course is done in the water? I live in a remote area and we don't have SDI around here...Also, there is no mention as to cost. Perhaps someone who has done this crossover knows a little more about it?

i am sure you guys can find a shop to affiliate with, it can be anywhere....

i am sure you guys can find a shop to affiliate with, it can be anywhere....

Ah, can it?
Would be easier

I was / am thinking about this as well.

Am i right it also counts for TDI for whatever rating you hold?

Dave

Ah, can it?
Would be easier

I was / am thinking about this as well.

Am i right it also counts for TDI for whatever rating you hold?

Dave

yes it does

I checked into this a little last year, but the requirement for shop affiliation stopped any pursuit.

As far as I understand, you don't have to officially be affiliated with a brick and mortar retail store.

You just need to meet the requirement of "facility"

Like, if you teach at a college and have full access to their facilities and an air station.

You need a facility to run your classes through. I believe Sarah Lynn was set up like that in Memphis at that big sports facility.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as I understand, you don't have to officially be affiliated with a brick and mortar retail store.

You just need to meet the requirement of "facility"

Not sure about SDI, but with TDI you don't even need that - you can be truly an independent instructor. We ended up registering as a facility as it has advantages, but it's not required.

The SDI site has extremely limited information about the online instructor crossover. More importantly, what portions and how much of the course is done in the water? I live in a remote area and we don't have SDI around here...Also, there is no mention as to cost. Perhaps someone who has done this crossover knows a little more about it?
To answer your questions:
  • None of the work was done in the water. I paid for the materials, used the online program and met with the local TDI rep for a face-to-face briefing and interview.
  • Don't remember the cost. It wasn't outrageous or I wouldn't have done it. If I remember correctly, there was some kind of deal that allowed me to cross my umpteen PADI Specialities over without breaking the bank.

I crossed over through a facility so I can't comment directly on the hows of becoming your own SDI facility, however my understanding from others that have done so is that the process isn't onerous if you actually are established as a functional independent with access to a dedicated facility.

It has been an interesting experience. I'm happy that I started out as a PADI instructor; their rigid program gave me a comprehensive set of tools and information that I needed to be effective and the support and structure gave me a solid framework to learn in. After years as a PADI instructor (eventually I earned the MI and IDC Staff ratings) however, where the thought process ended at "how do I organize", I was ready for something new and more challenging. I've found the SDI/TDI program has forced me to consider "what should I be teaching and how" when preparing a class, not just where to place my students and what toys and tricks to use. My understanding of the teaching process - and my grasp of the material I am teaching - have increased considerably. I'm having more fun and (I hope) my students are learning more with less effort because of it.

...After years as a PADI instructor (eventually I earned the MI and IDC Staff ratings) however, where the thought process ended at "how do I organize", I was ready for something new and more challenging. I've found the SDI/TDI program has forced me to consider "what should I be teaching and how" when preparing a class, not just where to place my students and what toys and tricks to use. My understanding of the teaching process - and my grasp of the material I am teaching - have increased considerably. I'm having more fun and (I hope) my students are learning more with less effort because of it.

I've heard this from quite a few Instructors that started with PADI. When an Instructor gets more experienced they often want to progress from the paint-by-numbers philosophy.

Back
Top Bottom