SDI IT Staff Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndyNZ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
A couple of questions regarding this course.

1. In terms of crossing over from PADI, the SDI IT Staff Instructor rating is probably most comparable to a PADI Course Director. However, can any credit be giving to PADI IDC Staff Instructors? A PADI IDCS can teach an entire PADI IDC under indirect supervision, but can't teach specialty instructor courses.

2. Can an IT Staff instructor course be run as an "internship", i.e. a candidate teaching a real IDC with real students under the supervision of an approved IT?

Thanks in advance.

Hello AndyNZ,
PADI IDCS can not teach an entire PADI IDC under indirect supervision, some traning segments must be conducted by the C.D. i.e. intro,take a look at your C.D. manual, a C.D. must be available on premises for consultation. As for a cross over I would go with a internship with a IT, for this will help you to become a great IT with SDI.

Tim
PADI IDCS 233019
TDI/SDI IT9737

AndyNZ,
Here is the crossover standard,
1. Candidates crossing over from another agency with an equivalent rating, will need to attend a familiarization course conducted by an appointed representative that covers all required sudjects as defined in section 9.10 of this standard.
(internship is a good thing!!!)
2. Candidates must be an active teaching status open water scuba diving instructor for a minimum of one year with no quality assurance for the past 12 months.

SPECIAL NOTE: All applications for crossover are pending training department final review and approval.

Tim

Your best off a calling up your regional office (International Training :: Home :: Regional Offices :: English) or SDI/TDI headquarters and talk with them about your situation. If they want you in the agency, they will work out a suitable arrangement, or at least tell you who in NZ/Australia is qualified to conduct a crossover.

Keep in mind many training agencies aren't huge bureaucracies where no one can give you a clear answer. Just talk to them and see what they are willing to do. The impression I got at DEMA is that the North American region was willing to work at getting more shops and instructors under SDI/TDI.

Andy,
The SDI IT Staff is SDI's equivalent rating to the PADI Course Director level. To crossover to the SDI IT Staff Instructor level, an individual must have completed a program that meets the RSTC Instructor Trainer Standard.
The SDI IT Staff Instructor training could be conducted using some formal training (classroom, pool and open water sessions, where candidates and instructor meet) along with practical application (teaching an IDC) if the IT so chooses to. Two current SDI IT's must conduct the instructor training. Therefore an IT Staff candidate could not be used as one of the individuals required to certify an SDI Instructor.

Thanks, Dennis.

The RO in Australia are working hard on other things for me at the moment - so just planning ahead for later next year.

Two current SDI IT's must conduct the instructor training. Therefore an IT Staff candidate could not be used as one of the individuals required to certify an SDI Instructor.

Is that current? As far as I know, one IT Staff can conduct the instructor training, along with one IT acting as an instructor examiner.

Is that current? As far as I know, one IT Staff can conduct the instructor training, along with one IT acting as an instructor examiner.

Exactly... an IT Staff may conduct an SDI open water instructor development course (IDC), but only a 'full' IT can do the evaluation (IEC).

Back
Top Bottom