SDI OW to PADI OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StreetDoctor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This question is not for me but my brother. He's trying to get on the fire department dive team. The team only accepts PADI certifications however there is an SDI OW course that fits his schedule perfectly at a discounted price. Is it possible to get an SDI OW card transferred (for a fee I presume) to a PADI OW card.

Ultimately I believe he will take the course either way and do PADI AOW if necessary as that's what I ended up doing.

Majority of fire departments including the one I work at only use one certification agency. What's the reasoning behind not being able to "apply" to there open water. I believe both agencies cover the same skill sets?

Long answer, from the PADI instructors manual "
If a diver wants a similar PADI certification, the diver must
take that PADI course. A better suggestion, however, is to encourage
divers to enroll in the next higher level PADI course given
that they meet all other prerequisites"

How's your bro feel about AOW from PADI?

Majority of fire departments including the one I work at only use one certification agency. What's the reasoning behind not being able to "apply" to there open water. I believe both agencies cover the same skill sets?

Actually, no they don't. SDI does not do tables. It's been too long since I worked in an SDI OW class to give any more examples of differences.

Hmm, my sdi class in spring went over tables... although we did use computers on our dives. I guess it was up to the instructor.

He's going to have to take PADI AOW then, thanks guys

This question is not for me but my brother. He's trying to get on the fire department dive team. The team only accepts PADI certifications however there is an SDI OW course that fits his schedule perfectly at a discounted price. Is it possible to get an SDI OW card transferred (for a fee I presume) to a PADI OW card.

Ultimately I believe he will take the course either way and do PADI AOW if necessary as that's what I ended up doing.

What city is this? Sounds like BULL**** too me. PADI, SSI, SDI, TDI, NAUI, YMCA, ANDI, GUE or whatever agency, the FD team members will have to have PSD training also. Does this FD team require PSD traing also?

Chicago.

Yes they do there own in house PSD stuff, they want you to have PADI open water (possibly advanced open water) though in order to apply to the position. Sounds ridiculous to me also but welcome to the windy city.

Back
Top Bottom