SDR: Rash of murders strikes Grand Cayman's West Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drew Sailbum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Saturday night, Sept 17, 2011, Grand Cayman was shocked by its third murder in 5 days as a spate of tit for tat gang related shootings rocks West Bay.

The first occurred on Birch Tree Hill Road, a well-traveled route for locals and tourists alike. You may have traveled this road on the way from George Town to Barkers, Cobalt Coast, or Pappagallos Restaurant.

The second occurred in Sand Hole Road area just off Boatswain's Bay Road. This is on the route between Cobalt Coast and Lighthouse Point, just before reaching the area of the Turtle Farm as you come from Cobalt Coast.

Last night's shooting, the third, occurred along Andresen Road, almost within sight of Cobalt Coast. You would pass right by the location on the way from Cobalt Coast to Pappagallos Restaurant.

All of these murders appear to be targeted shootings of persons with gang affiliations. All have occurred in the nighttime hours.

Please pre-plan your route if you must pass through these areas, especially at night. Bring a map. Do not stop to ask for directions from anyone out on the street at night.

The increasing level of crime on Grand Cayman has been a serious concern. Armed robberies have become sadly too common and a few have hit popular tourist restaurants during business hours.

Be aware of your surroundings. Secure your valuables and travel documents in your room safe or check them with your hotel's front desk. In an emergency call 9-1-1 and state your location.

The number of robberies and murders seems to be going way up in the last year or so.

It is sad to see what was once a crime free haven turn so violent.

Certainly the adverse impact on tourism to GC will follow.

Thnx for the info!!

This is very disturbing! We've been visiting GC for 20 years and love it. The friendly people, the lack of crime was part of our reason to buy a timeshare. Has unemployment reached such a level to become an issue (I thought employment of non-residents was restricted to ensure domestic stability) or are the gangs moving in from off-shore to gain a foothold?

Very sad :shakehead:

Though there was a spike in murders (also mostly gang related) in 2009 and 2010, we had just passed the one year mark since the last homicide. Now we have 3 in less than one week. :shakehead: Robberies, on the other hand, have become a weekly occurrence with locals dreading Thursday night which seems to be a favored night for the robbers. I guess they are trying to plan ahead for the weekend.

The gangs are home grown Caymanian thugs. The guns are often smuggled in along with drugs. Legal gun possession is limited to those licensed by the Commissioner of Police and is strictly controlled. This has led to the familiar NRA-styled arguments that when guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns. People feel defenseless, with even non-lethal options like pepper spray banned.

Expats do have to get work visas and employers must give preference to qualified Caymanians. There is vigorous discussion as to whether adequate educational opportunities are afforded youngsters to gain the needed qualifications. The recession has hit the economy hard. Cayman has had an immigration rollover policy that forced most expats to leave after seven years of residence. The idea was that this would free up jobs that qualified Caymanians could take up. It hasn't worked that way. Instead companies have been leaving Cayman, leaving many Caymanian office workers without a job. Just this week the Premier announced a suspension and review of this rollover system.

No doubt there are many concerned that this spate of violent crimes may do serious damage to Cayman's reputation as a relatively crime free destination. Please know that Little Cayman and Cayman Brac have not seen any such instances of violent crime. :(

Please keep us posted on any progress. As bad as it seems, relative to population and history, it's still much safer than walking/driving the streets of Atlanta. I avoid downtown Atlanta as much as possible. But I will continue to visit the Cayman Islands. A few rotten apples does NOT spoil the barrel.

Drew, thanks for the update on how this affects visitors driving selections.

In addition to the outright murders, there's also been some disappearances that aren't yet being counted as murders yet - - these have typically been perpetrated against local Caymanian women. IIRC, Len Layman is a spokesperson trying to get a woman's shelter, etc.

Unfortunately, some of all of these are social problems which are ultimately due to leadership decisions. The roll-over and education opportunities are part of it of course, but it also includes the consensus that the only good local job is a Government one - - which let us not forget includes Cayman Airways too.

However, a big part of the recent gangs also has their origins in the drug business, which did happen to also include some quite big family names back in the "Miami Vice" heydays. Of course, they can't now blame themselves, so we hear complaints about "Those Jamaicans" and so forth. Right.

And in the meantime, a visitor still can't bring into Cayman a spear for helping to kill off invasive lionfish, because the default presumption is that it can only be used for illegal fishing...

-hh

The families know who these thugs are and need to work with police. The police know who these punks are but in several cases cannot act due to political pressure. Sad state of affairs on Grand. At one time Grand Cayman could justify the expense of staying there as the cost was offset by the peace and safety the island afforded it's visitors. That cannot be said any longer.

Gangstas usually end up in one of two places...jail or the morgue. Neither sound all that inviting.

That really sucks.
I was wanting to go there some day but if I have to worry about going out at night or random crime I think I'll pass. I wrote off Mexico a long time ago because of this.
As it gets worse it will affect tourism and without tourism dollars their economy will really go down quick.

Trying to restore a good name and get people back is one of the hardest things to do.

Blame drug addicts as much as the drug dealers. Without a demand the cartels and gang banger thugs would be out of business.

I'll keep visiting the Cayman Islands until I feel we are personally threatened. I have always found Caymanians to be very friendly and helpful. I have faith they will turn this around before it gets out of hand.

Back
Top Bottom