SDR: Rash of murders strikes Grand Cayman's West Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Drew and Bill

Thanks for the quick replies with suggestions and some words to relax my concerns.

She does not like running the sand, she says it is bad for ankles or something - she has been running for 10+ years, I've learned not to argue but just nod my head in agreement :) She lets me dive, I let her run, and we are both happy and spend the afternoon doing things together.

We spent a week in Punta Cana at a resort and she was not allowed to leave resort grounds (Safety concerns) so she had to run laps around the resort's entrance - she ran like 60 laps, it was funny. Hence last trip was Aruba and this one GC looking for safer destinations where she can run in public.

OK, I'm dense. What does SDR in the title of this thread stand for? thanks

Hi Drew and Bill

Thanks for the quick replies with suggestions and some words to relax my concerns.

She does not like running the sand, she says it is bad for ankles or something - she has been running for 10+ years, I've learned not to argue but just nod my head in agreement :) She lets me dive, I let her run, and we are both happy and spend the afternoon doing things together.

We spent a week in Punta Cana at a resort and she was not allowed to leave resort grounds (Safety concerns) so she had to run laps around the resort's entrance - she ran like 60 laps, it was funny. Hence last trip was Aruba and this one GC looking for safer destinations where she can run in public.
Hi,

Grand Cayman is not like Punta Cana, some parts of Mexico or Jamaica for that matter. You're not in a situation where you're a rich foreigner in a fancy resort surrounded by abject poverty. Once you're there, you'll see what I mean. Is it wise for a woman to wonder around alone at 3 a.m.?, no. But where is that a wise move?

Go and have fun!

The circumstances of the crime incidents are what's critical to understanding what's actually going on. As Drew most recently posted, these incidents did not involve tourists; seem to be criminal-targeting-criminal or at least involving some kind of nefarious activity; and are all late at night. Cayman has become a second home for me and my family and I would still have absolutely no qualms about taking my family into George Town at night for dinner etc. We're more of an East End/ Brac kind of family but I have no concerns about what's going on in Cayman right now. I am concerned from the angle that it's senseless to have these sorts of crimes but it's no more endemic to Cayman than anywhere else. And even with the recent spate of incidents, Cayman is far safer than most other destinations.

Hell, I think of friends on Brac who come to the states on vacation and what they must be concerned about.

As Drew most recently posted, these incidents did not involve tourists; seem to be criminal-targeting-criminal or at least involving some kind of nefarious activity; and are all late at night.

Sorry, but I disagree with both propositions. Some incidents have involved tourists (ask Testudo, although he is not the only example) and a good number have occurred during the daytime. Since I work in the justice system here, I may be more aware of the circumstances than most. Not all serious crimes are reported in the media.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom