SE Asia Divemaster recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dooron

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I'm planning on doing my Rescue Diver and DMT in SE Asia in Jan 2013 and I'm VERY excited about that. I'm looking for recommendations on good locations for this time of year and good dive companies. I'd welcome any helpful advice the scubaboard community can offer.

The details... I have 3 months and a ticket to KL already booked so destinations outside of SE Asia are not an option. I did my OW and AOW in the Philippines so I'd like to go somewhere new. I realise it's monsoon season for parts of SE Asia when I will be there but I'm finding conflicting views on how much this affects the diving.

I would love to go to Sipadan is it worth risking the monsoon? Is there somewhere in Indonesia that would have good conditions at that time of year? I'm also considering the Andaman side of Thailand and so far it looks like the best option but I have reservations as I've heard it's been hit by coral bleaching and although a great destination Thailand is somewhere I could visit on a 2-3 week holiday. Should I be heading somewhere further afield given that a large block of holiday?

Thanks in advance

The time of year you mention is the best time of year for the west coast of Thailand. Check out Barakuda on Koh Phi Phi or Lanta Diver on Koh Lanta. Also worth looking into are Lumba Lumba on Pulau Weh, Scuba Junkie on Sipadan and Big Fish on Lembongan, Bali.

The corals and the diving on the west coast of Thailand are not as bad as reported and are improving again... I am currently on Phi Phi, and the diving has been very good lately... Here's a link to some of the photos I've taken at Phi Phi over the last month nor so - Phi Phi Photos.

Great photos. Thanks for the recommendations. Which would you say is more touristy Koh Lanta or Koh Phi Phi? I liked the idea of Lumba lumba then I read some apalling reviews which has put me off. If you had to pick one which would it be?

You could consider doing your Rescue and DMT on Koh Lipe, Thailand. Koh Lipe and the surrounding islands were not affected by the coral bleaching that impacted the reefs a bit further north in the Andaman Sea. Like Koh Phi Phi, it is a small island but attracts a slightly older, less party-oriented crowd. It's a beautiful, chilled out island where as a DMT, you'll get a good balance between assisting on courses and learning how to guide. There are several dive centers to choose from, smaller shops where you might be the only DMT and can get a lot of hands on experience, and larger shops where you're more likely to get a bigger variety of courses to assist on and will encounter a larger variety of situations, both in the water and at the shop. It comes down to your personality, what you are looking for, and ultimately, who you click with. The best thing to do is get in touch with a few dive centers beforehand, and ideally, visit a few and speak to the instructor(s) and get a feel for the dive center. Good luck!

Koh Phi Phi is more 'touristy' than Lanta. Koh Lanta's a more spread out island and a likttle more relaxed. The diving is pretty much at the same sites for both islands. Lanta and Phi Phi are both good options as there is a large volume of students whose courses you can assist on...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom