Sea and Sea FO cable issue...can I make this work or??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

okiediver1961

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I bought this cable thinking it was the correct one for my YSD1 (or not knowing there is a difference) and I cannot get it into the strobe port. It goes in about halfway....

I have a cheap one that does fit, however it seems loose. My intention was then to buy a sea and sea one that was designed for the strobe hoping for better quality and fit.

I paid 80 for this thing so before I throw it on ebay I thought I would check to see if there is any hope of modifying it.

Thanks for any input!
upload_2016-11-17_7-38-18.png

this should fit. this is the "old" cable that has been discontinued. the new cable is mechanically the same, just multifibre.

the fit is controlled by an oring that compresses a bit when the cable is inserted. maybe your oring has swelled a bit?

Tiny O-rings. Probably you old O-ring is slightly under sized or compressed. New one is not. Lube it properly, make sure the port is clean, and try just a bit harder.
$80 is a pretty high price for a FO cable.

You can probably re-O-ring the old one for a better fit. Take it and the camera to a dive store or a WELL stocked plumbing store.

Great ideas. Ill try the lube first--hadn't thought of that. The new one is marketed with a different # so I was thinking I may have bought the wrong one....did not realize mine has been discontinued. I would be very interested in building my own however we leave for LC in less than two weeks so there is no time! Many thanks!

It's an O-ring. A tiny bit of lube is appropriate for a dynamic insertion. The ports and plugs are pretty standard and the fit is really by the O-ring, not the plug itself.

I will try this tonight! Thanks to all!

check to see if the oring has gone hard - and hence will not compress and will prevent the plug from being fully inserted.

i have 2 similar cables (that i no longer use) and a quick check revealed that 3 orings are missing and the last 1 is rock hard and crumbling. my orings are obviously well past their best before date. yours may be as well.

if your orings are in good shape, a little water will be the best lube. if you use grease it will simply attract dirt and eventually get wiped off on everything once you disconnect the cables for transport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom