Sea and Sea or Ikelite?

which housing would you pick for your camera?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BspoonDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Canon 6D and I've been looking for a housing and see that these are the 2 brands that dominate that area. Sea and Sea are extremely expensive but this is something I will be keeping for a long time. so I wanted to see what others input would be. What would you recommend and what are the pros and cons of both. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I shoot a Canon 6D above the surface (not quite brave enough to take it under water, so I recently got a Sony A6000 for underwater). Have you considered a Nauticam Housing? They are in the same basic price range as the Sea&Sea, but I find their housings very ergonomic.

Having said that, I have used an Ikelite housing for a DSLR (Canon 20D) before and while it offered excellent protection, I found it to be big, bulky, awkward and heavy. It was, however, a very economical housing.

Both the S&S and the Nauticam housings will cost significantly more, but they will be lighter, smaller have have better ergonomics.

The other thing to consider is what lens do you plan to use. (The Tokina 10-17 fisheye is a great U/W lens as is the 60mm macro.) Make sure that whatever housing you plan to go with will have ports to support your choice of lenses.

If money is the critical factor, then your choice is clear (so to speak), the Ikelite costs much less. If however you can afford one of the other housings, then I would opt for them instead because of the size & ergos.

Back
Top Bottom