Sea Lice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

missyjane

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
How bad is it at the beginning of April? How do you prevent the bites and subsequent itching? Anyone here have problems with it?

I don't think it is TERRIBLE but guess I will find out this year as I don't return to Canada until mid April. first off, wear a full suit. I also have a hooded vest so only my hands and part of my face are exposed. Second, make sure you have hydrocortisone cream with you. It is my all purpose, go-to first aid in a tube and particularly effective for itching. third, when ascending, look up and avoid ascending where the water is anything but clear. I don't know what those unclear areas are (sea lice? Jellies?) but I avoid them. I am sure others will have tips.

I'm with you on the cortisone creme. It's what keeps me from having itchy places for days/weeks, and makes the little stings go away in hours. I don't go in without it in my dry stuff!
I carry diphenhydramine tabs (generic benedryl) in case I get into a bunch of little stingers...

I can't think that April is bad, either.

Also, if you get nailed (touch) the black hydroids, LEAVE THEM ALONE! Don't touch, scratch, molest - and though they sting like crazy when you get them - they will go away in an hour or so. I didn't believe it until I managed to let it happen - and they completely disappeared before my dive day was done.

Also, if you get nailed (touch) the black hydroids, LEAVE THEM ALONE! Don't touch, scratch, molest - and though they sting like crazy when you get them - they will go away in an hour or so. I didn't believe it until I managed to let it happen - and they completely disappeared before my dive day was done.

AHH! I haven't ever heard of black hydroids. It looks like a fern?

The old rule of thumb was to 'beware' from Mother's Day till Father's Day .... however the little suckers seems to like me a much longer season than that!!! I seem to have a pretty severe reaction to them, so - if you think you might have problems - I would second the info already supplied .... wear a full suit. Also you can buy Safe Sea lotion to put on the uncovered areas - neck, face, back of neck, top of hands. And when I travel I usually have Benadryl spray or Benadryl Gel (or both!) with me. So far they've provided the best relief I've found - even better than the prescriptions doctors have given me.

AHH! I haven't ever heard of black hydroids. It looks like a fern?

YES anything that looks like a fern is really an animal and is BAD. I dive sans wetsuit and take pictures, so I ALWAYS get some. It tends to stop hurting and itching me in a day, but mine don't go away that quick. After a week I have a scientific experiment of old purple ones and new red ones and shades in between. I have heard other have worse reactions.

I dive in a swim suit and a UV shirt.....they always get in my trunks and bite me all over. Sucks!

YES anything that looks like a fern is really an animal and is BAD. I dive sans wetsuit and take pictures, so I ALWAYS get some. It tends to stop hurting and itching me in a day, but mine don't go away that quick. After a week I have a scientific experiment of old purple ones and new red ones and shades in between. I have heard other have worse reactions.
Heh. Yesterday there ws a guy on the boat whose hand looked like hamburger. I asked what happened and he said he ran into hydroids. I said "what did you do? Grab a handful, rub them on your hand and then roll in them for good measure?". He said he never even felt them sting...maybe due to pain meds for recent surgery. I predict he will have memories of them for a couple of months!

Heh. Yesterday there ws a guy on the boat whose hand looked like hamburger. I asked what happened and he said he ran into hydroids. I said "what did you do? Grab a handful, rub them on your hand and then roll in them for good measure?". He said he never even felt them sting...maybe due to pain meds for recent surgery. I predict he will have memories of them for a couple of months!

I dipped down one time to take a picture of a 12 foot lobster, (no really. Well maybe not 12 but huge) Brushed a knee and I swear felt every pop. I knew I was in trouble AND the picture sucked.... Worst ones I have had were on my leg at the edge of my regular shorts. The rubbing hurt a little. I used Solarcaine on them. It knocked the sting down.

Worst ones I have had were on my leg at the edge of my regular shorts. The rubbing hurt a little. I used Solarcaine on them. It knocked the sting down.
Apparently the trick is prescription pain meds! You should only run into them once before you make sure that you never do that again...

Back
Top Bottom